Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet advertisement virus !! ? Unwanted ad residing in system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qvtqt

Programmer
Oct 13, 2000
US
Every computers in my department is currently having this problem and it also afflicts my home PC:

--About once a day while browsing the web using Internet Explorer 5.5 I would have the same message pop-up ( and regardless of the web I was on. I've been noticing this problem for more than 2 months. This observation led me to believe that these companies inserted some script inside my Internet Explorer to pull up the ad very X number of interaction, i.e. mouse clicks. I've talked to a few other software developers near my office, but they couldn't come up with a solution either. To me this kind of tactics is illegal, because, in essence, those companies hold my computer hostage to their ads. Please provide any insights.

Thanks.

I have seen this too, after x amount of new browsew windows i get an ad for a tiny camrea. i believe thay may have payed M$ to do this. I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

I was having this problem also, but there is a fix. The pop-up is just a clever java script. Next time you see it use the hotlink to the webmaster's email, that is where you can get the fix. You'll have to redownload this fix every month but it's better than having to see that stupid advertisment. Hope that helps.

Jeffey,

I realized this when I visited their websites. BUT, in essence, these companies are holding your computer hostage by requiring you to visit them every month to obtain a "pass" that blocks out their advertisements. I visited X10 website regarding this problem and their FAQ stated that X10 actually has a "contract" with those sites you visit when the X10 camera ad appears. I'm pretty sure this is false, because over the past 2.5 months I've observed their ad poping up from every sites that I've regularly visits and so does my co-workers. They can't possibly have relationships with all of those sites!

I work for a large high-tech company and I'm gathering evidence to forward to the IT department. Hopefully they have the resource (and clout) to force the end to this practice from X10, NextCard and other companies.

Everyone, please reply about your related experience.

thanks,
qt

Not to get nasty about it, but this falls under the "pissing-into-the-wind" category. Since banner ads have proven to be a lose-lose situation, generating zippo in the way of sales, advertisers have gone over to these "pop-under" ads as another way to try and sell stuff to folks on the internet. Want them to go away? Don't buy anything and when the advertisers look at the cost/revenue curve and see another loser they will give them up... and replace them with something else.

As for where the ad itself resides, I'm sure it's in the "Downloaded Program Files" folder or some such. You download hundreds of little java scripts and banner ad jpg files every time you surf, this is no different. I do agree that this requirement to renew the block once a month is a real legal stretch, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back