Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Access under Netware 5.1 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rparfitt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
GB
I have a NW5.1 server running NIAS. This is a recent upgrade from NW4.11, formerly running the IP/IPX gateway. I am running both IP and IPX on the server.

At present, the only way I can get a workstation to connect to the internet is by assigning a static IP address to it. I cannot seem to get DHCP to work.

1) If we get DHCP working, are we restricted to the 16 IP addresses we have been assigned? Will we need to purchase more IP addresses?

2) Is there some Netware 5 equivalent to the IP/IPX gateway that will allow the workstations to connect through the IP address assigned to the server?

3) Is there some other way around the problem?!

How have you got your DHCP configured? On the NW sever? On a Microsoft NT4 Server?? "My mamma used to say that life is like a box of chocolates .... you never know what you're gonna get!"

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping not to have the expense of Border Manager, but if that's what it takes....

DHCP is running on the same NW5 server. I'm not sure about the box of chocolates, it is more a case of the way Paxo treats a turkey!!

We had the same problem on an upgrade from 3.2 to 5.1. Note that there is also an NT server in this network. We had to stop DHCP on the NT, run IP only and assign IP addresses the workstations. Everything works fine.

Thanks Dave. I was beginning to think this might be the case.
Richard

Can u also check if u have a linux box on the netware which acts as a gateway to internet.

May be some friends from the forum could give u details about how to achieve the same. its possible.

We do have a Linux (Mandrake 7.2) box which is running Apache at present to serve up some intranet pages. If it is possible to configure this for Internet access as well, that would be a great solution. Where do I go to find out how to do this? Please remember that I am a Linux novice!

Thanks
Richard

rparfitt:
There is a linux server forum here. Just search for it.
You could use any 2.4 kernel and a minimal box to do nat for your network, and route. With pat you can offer reasonable secure access(given some time and effort) to
internal, masqueraded, hosts.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. We have a temporary solution using a Netware 4.1 server still running the old IP/IPX gateway. Long term though, I think we'll go the Linux route.
Richard

Along with Linux, u may have to install apaceh server (freware/shareware).

icici

What gateway are you using for internet connection? A router with NAT should translate any internal IP to an Internet IP.
Are you running DNSDHCP? That should provide dynamic IP assignment to the workstations.

To use NAT under Netware you need two cards in the server, which we don't have! Also, we are restricted to 16 IP addresses - not much use with 200 workstations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back