Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Access through Proxy 2 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonb007

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
GB
This is the Current State.

We have a Windows 2000 Server giving IP address out on a 10.2.0.10 onwards.

The Server is 10.2.0.1 subnet 255.0.0.0 and the Router is 10.2.0.3

I have configured the Proxy machine (NT Server 4, SP6, Proxy 2 SP1, IIS4)
with 10.2.0.7, subnet 255.0.0.0 and gateway 10.2.0.3

I have configured the LAT to be 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

I have only 1 NIC card in....DO I NEED 2??? since I only want to cache at the moment

If I go into the internet and automatically detect it goes onto the Internet
like normal..once I put the Proxy address on it does not just comes up with
a blank page and does not ask for any user info.

Any help would be good.

Lets get started...

1: You do not need to have 2 NICs in the server to make Proxy work right. You do need to Bind both internal and external(real) IP Addresses to the 1 NIC you have in the server.
2: You can Bind multiple IP addresses to a single NIC by using the advanced button in the TCP/IP properties. Simple add the other address in.
3: I do however think it is a little strange that you are using a fictitious Class A (10.x.x.x) address. I personally set up most companies with a (10.x.x.x) with a subnet mask of (255.255.255.0) however I don't feel that this should make a difference.
4: I would check the LAT after you add the new IP address to the NIC and make sure that all external addresses are removed from the LAT.
5: Also make sure that your users have rights to use the proxy. Check the MMC and make sure that the user groups you want to use the proxy are in there.

Hope this helps...I don't want to rip on proxy servers but it is much easier and cheaper to maintain a hardware solution than it is a proxy, unless you need to restrict user access to the Internet or Do not have a router that supports NAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back