Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet access problems (networked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floribunda

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
Something very weird is happening with our network. When our tech first set it up, everyone (who was supposed to) had internet access. Now, it is funky from one day to the next. For example, today, only the users who have access to our payroll program can access the internet. (yesterday nobody had access)

I enabled DHCP on the router then turned off the server. One by one I turned on everyone's computer and confirmed that they had internet access. When I turned the server back on, the DHCP display on the router showed only 4 users (the ones with payroll access) as dhcp clients, whereas I saw 7 before I restarted the server. Aaarrgghh. This is making me crazy.

Our server is running Windows server 2003, the internet access is Yahoo DSL and the router is U.S. Robotics. (At first we had the internet going through the server, but I think there was some problem with that, so we changed it to go throught the router)...so much has happened that I can't remember all the problems.

If someone has encountered this before, pls. let me know if you think it is a router problem, or a permissions problem, etc.

Thank you!

You may disactive DHCP on your router. Sounds like all other users withour payroll access has your Windows 2003 as first choice of DHCP server.

Anyhow, has two DHCP on same network you should make sure they handle different IP pool.

Sounds like the default gateway in the DHCP settings on the server is wrong. Or the scope has run out of IPs. IS this a domain or workgroup?

FRCP

I did already try disabling DHCP on the router and NOBODY could go online!! Grrr.

As for the IP pools, I didn't check the one on the server, but the DHCP on the router is 10-30. (Dot sure how to check the server...)

Thanks, Judy

wdoellefeld,

Thank you for your response... "Sounds like the default gateway in the DHCP settings on the server is wrong. Or the scope has run out of IPs. IS this a domain or workgroup?"

It is a domain.

Should the DHCP settings on the server be the same or different than that of the router?

It is a domain.

Should the DHCP settings on the server be the same or different than that of the router?

Set the DHCP scope on the server to use the same gateway as that of the router. I would create a scope that has about 10 to 20 more addresses than you need on the network and reserve some for printers, servers, any managed switches and the like that need static addressing.

From the PC has problem to access Internet, in command console, type "route print" to show you the routing table. Verify the default routing, you may have an idea what is going on.

Hi

turn DHCP off on the router
create a new DHCP scope on the Server (contol panel admin tools)

include details when asked the:
DNS Server IP (your server)
ISP DNS Servers as forwarders
gateway (router IP)

got to client PC's
in DOS - cmd and RUN
type ipconfig /release
them IPconfig / renew

now your clients will all have the correct IP settings

should now work....maybe!!

note:

small network like yours should only need one DHCP server on your Server not router

find your ISP DNS servers (2) from them or do a search in google?

you can allow lots of IP address even if you dont need em

for examlpe 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.100

leave out the IPs of your server and router for obvious reasons, they are static IPs

also the default is for clients to retain DHCP details for 8 days, thats fine fore normal use;

I am guessing you have one Server one router and a few clients?

Thanks to all of you who helped with your replies.

I changed the scope of the dhcp on the server and disabled the one on the router. That seemed to be creating a big conflict.

Another weirdity was that the switch had a bad connection or something where it kept flickering on and off. Once that was fixed it made a HUGE difference!!!

Out of desperation, I called in a technician and he also found a transposed IP digit in some obscure setting in the DNS (I think).

All is now well!! I have learned a ton, and again I wish to thank each of you for your generous assistance. It is good to know there are folks out there willing to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back