Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet access problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanson

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
Here's a weird one.

I have an XP Pro system running AthXP 2400. I have fast user switching enabled and haven't had any problems until yesterday.

When user2 logs in, no internet connection can be established. User2 can access all network resources, but any service that requires going out to the internet (telnet, http, smtp, etc) will not work. It's almost as if some invisible firewall was enabled, but I do not have a firewall program installed (I have a NetGear router) and I am still on SP1a. I have AVG installed for anti-virus.

If I switch to User1, I can access all resources. In fact, I'm posting from the same system logged in as User1. It does not appear to be a security issue, as I have also logged in as Guest at this workstation and gotten full access to internet resources. I have also given User2 admin rights, but no dice.

At this point, I feel like I have no other choice but to copy the files, delete the user and files, re-create the user, and copy the files back. Are there any problems I may encounter with that or does someone have a quick answer that will solve this dilemma?

Woh, hold on a second on the reformat/reinstall.

Your suggestion has possibilities, but remember that a Guest user does not have internet access. What user class is the other user?

Fast user switching is also an issue. See:
Even in the case of a Guest account, internet access is possible:

. Make a registry change:
. Then make the internet connection as you.

. Then Fast User Switch to the other user.

I wasn't going to reformat and reinstall, just re-create the user and copy the files over. My Guest account accesses the internet without a problem -- the issue is that User2 cannot access the internet.

Any other ideas?

Do what you siad you would do as your last choice..... but do not copy the ntuser.dat log .log files .. use the ones in the freshly created user you have just created

User2 is a power user, but the same thing happened when I changed user class to Administrator. Also, the Guest account is able to connect to the internet, so I am not inclined to think of this as a security issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back