Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet access on server but not workstations???

Status
Not open for further replies.

headsup7

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2003
GB
hi i have set up 2 gpo's for students and teachers on my 2003 server... i have access on my server to the internet np!!
but my work stations do not want to surfffff the net.. i have set the copy from server connections on gpo and i can see them pointing to the to the url that is required when i look into the settings for internet i see the exact same setting from the server i run dhcp so u lot got any clues !!! gpo settings that i might have missed... its a proxy address that i connect to

thxs

Hey!! Stop shoutinggg! For a start, can you confirm the DHCP is dishing out the correct gateway to the clients by typing an ipconfig/all command on your clients?

ha anyone any other ideas please thxs

has anyone any other ideas please thxs
really urgent now

Just some thoughts:

Have you checked that the machines can do name resolution?
Open up a Dos Window and type in NSLookup, then try to resolve some external name i.e. tek-tips.com.

Quick fix would be to point them at the same DNS settings as the Server is using.

If your using DNS on the 2003 server check that the DNS server can resolve names. The IE browser is, mostly likely, only using the details from the NIC settings.

Do you have a firewall that may be blocking certain ip addresses for access external sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back