Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet access issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

uptime

Technical User
Feb 12, 2002
US
I could really use some troubleshooting help. This one has me stumped. I have a client running MS SBS 2003 server. It has been running fantastic. Yesterday they started having email issues. They use a hosting service for their website and email. I contacted them and they had a major power failure and were working on restoring services. Now they are back up but we are still not receiving email. From their network I can not open their website (nor a couple other clients hosted by the same service). I can however ping and run a tracert. I can also open any other websites not hosted by their provider. From outside I can connect to their website and mail server without problem. They connect to the internet via a cable modem hooked to the server in the standard SBS broadband two NIC setup. I have tried clearing caches, re-booting, powering down the cable modem, and pretty much everything else I can think of. I also tried connecting a laptop directly to the cable modem and it can connect to their website without problem. One thing I noticed which may or may not be related: When I tried to run repair on the internet facing NIC I got a message that it couldn't complete the action because it could not clear the ARP cache. I was able to clear the arp cache manually and I can view the contents and it appears to be fine. My gut feeling is this is not related but I figured I should pass it on.

What am I missing? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Are you sure the WAN NIC don't suffered the power failure ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

The power failure was at their email/website hosts location not theirs. Also they can connect to websites other than those hosted by their provider. Appreciate the thought though.

It's resolved. As I suspected all along is was at their hosts site. After about 12 phone calls, multiple trouble tickets, many emails I stumbled on the right person who in 10 minutes discovered that they were being blocked at the router level and cleared the problem.

Thanks to anyone who put thought into this.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good web hosting company whose tech support staff do not have their heads firmly planted where the sun doesn't shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back