Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Access In Win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

agovind

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
US
I installed win 2k and did all the windows updates (including SP4) except for .NET framework.

My computer is a stand alone
I have 3 accounts setup:
1. Administrator
2. agovind - as a poweruser
3. user - user

When I log on as Administrator, everything is fine. I can access the internet and web page.
But when I log in as the power user or even just a user, I cannot access web page (internet explorer). The internet connections is still there. I can access internet through Kazaa (P2P Media Desktop) and other programs.

But in Internet explorer, it seems its opening the page but I can't see anything. Sometimes maybe the top line. Like I want to go to Yahoo.com. I only see Yahoo and rest is blank.

How do I change the settings to be able to access the internet explorer web pages without giving everyone administrative priviledges.
Thanks in advance.

is the Ip setting OK...go to the administrative tools and make ya local security policy as you want....

jina01@hotmail.com

In IP security Policies it say
For all Client, Secure server and Server -----à Policy assigned is “NO”.
I tried assigning "Yes" to Clients but it didn't help.

I also looked under Local Policies--->user rights assignments and Security Options. There are so many options I don't know what to change. What setting will make the power user and all other users to open web page correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Ajay

Ajay - you shouldn't need to change any settings to be able to use IE (unless you or someone else has previously changed settings to prohibit non-admin access - might be worth looking in IE settings). You say Kazaa works - so I suggest installing another browser (eg Opera) just to see if its browsing per se or just IE that's the problem. Assuming you are running latest IE 6, you could try uninstalling it (back to previous version) & reinstalling it.

Thanks wolluf,

I did install Netscape Communicator. But still same problem. I did actually had previous accounts which I deleted and created new ones, since there was some virus and I needed to reinstall Win2K and Norton 2003. I looked under IE options and did not find anything wrong. I must also say that when I try to run Norton Utilities in other user mode, it also do weird things and do not display it correctly. Please guide me. Its frustating.
Thx

Did you definitely get rid of the virus? Was it a clean install of 2k (if not, I'd suggest you backup and do that, as it could be a leftover from virus infestation).

yes, I believe it was. After I did the install, I ran norton and repaired as well as deleted all the w32.Pinfi virus. I then reinstalled win 2000 again. See when I am in User account. I can get web page displayed if I open IE as an administrator. I think its nework setting or policy setting problem. I don't know where to fix this.

Ajay,

You need someone who has had this problem and sorted it to respond - or you need to backup, wipe drive, and do clean install of 2k - IMO.
This behaviour should not happen, unless it has been set deliberately (by an application - what have you installed - what does Norton do - its commonly the cause of many problems because it updates your machine without you being aware of what its doing, or by a user). I don't know how you can do this (prevent non-admin from browsing), but I'm sure someone here does (I've had a look at local group policies & IE security options, but can't see how you would do this!)

I guess I'll try to reinstall Win2K. But everything is working fine in admin mode. In the user mode all the programs work fine. Except norton 2003 and IE. In IE it does open some of the web pages sometimes but not all. I could uninstall norton and IE and then nstall back to see what happens. The internet access is available. I can download files in user mode. Its just the browsing part that needs fixing.

I'd certainly try uninstalling Norton - then unistall/reinstall IE if that no good on its own.

I uninstalled norton. Nothing changed. But boggles me is that why Netscape is also not working in user mode either.

Also, Howto unsinstall IE. In add remove prog, it only allows me to repair IE not uninstall it.

Try the repair option first. If you've updated the original from 5.01, you should have option to remove latest version from add/remove. If its not there, and repair doesn't do anything see if it will let you (re)install IE6 SP1 (latest).

I reinstalled IE 6 SP1. But still same thing. You didn't tell me why Netscape would do the same thing? I tried creating a new user account just to check and its doing the same things. I tried opening msn.com and in the status line it showed opening the page and then page adress was weird /msn.../../0003000003300. something like that and then it said done. But the page is not displayed correctly.
What should I do?

Ajay,

Sorry - as I said before, I don't know what's causing this (other than left over from virus attack - but if you clean installed, that shouldn't be true) - so all I can suggest (again) is another clean install - or wait for other responses.

I have been seeing the same sort of problems after some issues installing sp4 for windows 2000. Everything is great as an administrator and everything works if I make a power user an administrator, but if I leave them as a power user - I cannot view a lot of pages in IE and programs such as Word cram all the text together. It acts like a display issue but everything works if you have administrator privaleges. very strange.

Ajay,

Just upgrade your account to an administrator. See if that's a solution. If it is, then you know it could be a setting under the power user. If it's not, then it could be your ie in that profile. If it is your ie, uninstall it, go to settings\add remove components\remove ie\add it back. You have kazaa, so i'm assuming you have plenty of hijacker/malware and spyware files. That could also take place of why you can't use your ie. Also, go over the settings - open your ie browser\tools\internet options\connections\set up\choose LAN\choose lan (that's if you are not using dial up)\uncheck boxes unless you use a proxy\choose no for the e-mail set up\finish. Open your ie and see if that works.

Hope this helps.

Can you still check your email from the user and power user accounts? I would think if Kazaa is working that you have a problem
with your DNS settings for those users.

Try 'pinging' a domain name. From the command line, type:

ping
then press the enter key. If you don't get a reply, try typing:

ping 213.225.138.45

then press the enter key. If you get a response to this, then you have a DNS setting screwed up.

R. Shawn Deveau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back