Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Access for VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
US
I'm a admin for the home office for a couple companies. We've got a fract T1 for Internet access. We're currently trying to get a few small remote offices connectivity with either PPTP or IPsec to our network. The problem is, both are in not-so-developed areas (ie no DSL/cable) and the offices are too small to justify something like a T1 line. 56k dialup is too slow, Satellite has too much latency issues.. something like ISDN seems to be our only option.. or is it? Any of you have any experience with other forms of Internet access with VPN? They'll be doing mostly Microsoft File Sharing stuff, and Peachtree Accounting.

Thanks

I have gone through the same thing for the last three companies I have worked for and it stinks. What is your budget for these remote locations? Other technologies like frame relay or ATM are probally to expense, but if you look hard enought you might find something in your price range. I found a full T1 for under $400/month everything included even a 2500 series Cisco router. It was a promotion from McloedUSA.

Make sure you know if any thing is coming to the area soon. Although DSL companies are dropping like flies you would be suprised to see the agressive rollout schedule from the remaining DSL providers.

ISDN is not a bad solution. 128 for about $100 with line charges. Just a little advice on the VPN server don't skimp. If alot of data is being transferred thats alot of encrypting and decrypting. I prefer hardware units myself, but Win 2K has improved VPN services greatly over NT.

I have an offering that is DSL and ISND based private IP network. It isn't VPN, but a true private IP network. this eliminates the need for VPN hardware, software, management etc. You can then share your internet access that HQ has with the other sites. This provides you a much greater level of security and firewall management. I have been able to do most locations for around $250/mo. Not bad when you factor in the cost of VPN support etc that you save. If you want, give me a call and I'll talk you through it. Jeff

If you have PIX boxes at the home location, get a small pix (506) and install it with ISDN at the remote sites. Then you can use them to create an IPSec connection between the two sites. It will only encrypt traffic destined for the other network. I used a 515 and a 520 to set up a conference center. Worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back