Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet access for AOL users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervsplace

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
US
Have just recently migrated from Groupwise 5.5 to Exchange 2003. We have some users attempting to access their email thru the web portal but are unsuccessful. The common element between the users is that they use AOL as their provider. All other users are able to access without issues. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to help these users?

Using IIS 6.0 on W2K3 server

TIA
Dan

If you're using Digest or NTLM authentication and an AOL browser, then the authentication will fail...

You'll have to use either BASIC authentication or BASIC authentication with SSL.

Rgds

Phil Blythe

AOL browsers only tramits passwords and usernames in Clear Text (Basic Authentication). You will have to direct your users to connect to the site to launch Internet Explorer for them to be able to login. IE will utilize the othe authentication method. If you change your site to Basic Authentication then you are transmitting everything from User id and password to all data in clear text and anyone with a basic sniffer can snag your packets and be able to hack in your system. I would just have them use IE when hitting this site. They will still be able to connect to the internet through AOL, but they just cannot use an AOL browser.

This may seem a little basic, but not being an AOL user I'm not sure how this works. Could you please explain how my staff can connect through AOL but use IE when hitting our site, in an idiots guide format?
Thanks
Jo.

See my previous post.
In Internet Services Manager, ensure that the authentication for your Exchange site is BASIC.
If you're using Digest or NTLM then AOL browsers won't be able to view OWA.
Failing that, ensure that your clients use IE6 instead of the AOL browser....

Rgds

Phil B

If you're looking for the most compatible authentication, check out forms based authentication and get an SSL certificate. It's secure and compatible with all browsers and most firewalls, proxy servers. Basic authentication is clear text, not encrypted. I wouldn't recommend this.

In the exchange manager, open your server, protocols, http, and look at the properties of Exchange Virtual Server. On the settings tab, check forms based authentication and set compression to None. I wouldn't do this without an SSL certificate though.

Ray D'Andrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back