Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet access blocked in Win 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycral

Technical User
Feb 4, 2007
OK. The local DSL system (Verizon) went down the other day and I, not knowing that this was a global DSL problem, tried to diagnose the problem using "Verizon Online Help." This program ran and after testing the system, router and modem concluded that it could not define the problem. A call to Verizon tech help revealed that the local DSL system was down and the their engineers were working on the problem.

Fine. Later when I tried to access the internet on the computer it failed to connect. Other computes on our network were once again able to connect to the internet via Verizon DSL but not the one on which I ran the "Verizon Online Help" program. Verizon tech allowed that the problem is in the local computer (running Win 2k sp4) and so they could not help. I rebooted this computer into linux and was able to access the internet using linux. So the problem is in the Win 2k. Yes, the computer is backed up daily but restoring back to the day before this event does not resurrect internet connectability. I have tried everything I can think of but access is still not available. I set all the internet options back to default, uninstalled the firewall (but do still have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise running), ran full system virus check and spyware cleaners (no viruses/spyware found), "cleaned" the registry and I'm ready to repair and/or reinstall Win 2k.

Before I do that, I would like suggestions of possible causes that do not entail reloading win 2000 pro.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Jaycral

PS. The backup is not a full backup but rather key items in the C drive such as winnt etc. Could the problem be located elsewhere on another partition?

What happens when you try to access the internet? Is other network connectivity affected (eg, is machine picking up an IP address - if using DHCP, can it see the rest of network).
Is internet access via IE6? - If so, have you tried another browser?

You could try winsockfix (google for it).

Wolluf,

IE6 returns a "Page cannot be displayed etc." window. Firefox returns a "Server not found" window. Cisco VPN returns a "not connected" message. However, this computer can connect with other computers on our LAN it just is unable to connect to the internet.

I will google for the winsockfix, give it a try and report back if it works.

Thanks.

Wolluf, I tried winsockfix and have no change in the problem. Also have explored the router settings and they seem ok (which I would suspect since Linux connects just fine).

Guess I will sleep on it and maybe I'll wake up with an idea.

OK. I've got this problem solved. For some reason when I tried to restore the registry to the day before the problem started it did not work. When I restored the registry to that of TWO days before the problem started internet connection now works.
[bigsmile]
Don't ask me why. Sometimes these things just defy logic.
Wolluf. Thanks for your input even if it did not work in this case. I will keep winsockfix in mind for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back