Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

International keyboard & VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilfranz

Technical User
Oct 4, 2003
US
Hello friends,

While in VFP's edit mode, I'm having some annoyance from my two alternate keyboard settings (installed via Control Panel).

I use both the standard keyboard, "English (United States)", and for European characters I use the "United States - International" keyboard. In the Control panel settings I have set the standard keyboard as my default.

So far so good. I can easily toggle back and forth between the two keyboards at the sytem tray icon/menu. It works fine in all applications... except VFP!

In VFP, it always opens as standard keyboard active. But while entering code, the standard keyboard often (and I mean really often, sometimes every couple of minutes) spontaneously switches to the international keyboard, and I have to switch it back. I haven't been able to identify any particular action or key strokes that cause it, and I would dearly love to get rid of the constant nuisance.

Any ideas out there. (I know Mike Magnon is fluent with French, and maybe there are others who use more than one keyboard.)

TIA

Bill

Bill,
What version and Service Pack of VFP are you running?

Rick

Any ideas out there. (I know Mike Magnon is fluent with French, and maybe there are others who use more than one keyboard.)

I have yet to find a solution for that one, even in VFP9 it does that.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Thanks for your input Rick and Mike.

Rick: I am using VFP8.0 SP1.

Mike: I was afraid of just what you say. I think I'll search around in some Windows resources to see if I can find any keystroke(s) which are intended to cause a keyboard change, and then work backwards from there.

Thanks again.

Bill

I normally set my language change to ALT-Tab, which would be rarely used in a programming situation, but it still reverts every once in a while.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Bill,

For what it's worth, I have exactly the same problem. It is intermittent, but I have seen it in all versions of VFP.

The solution is to bang your fist on the desk and curse under your breath. It doesn't solve the problem, but it makes you feel better about it.

Mike

My sites:
Visual FoxPro (www.ml-consult.demon.co.uk)
Crystal Reports (www.ml-crystal.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back