Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

International Callback equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

libertate

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
I am looking for a callback system, usually associated with International Callback firms like Boomerang. I have found one called TollMaster, but he wants way too much for it.

Or, how would I get a program where I can do the following:

A DID pool say 100 numbers.
A DB where a record contains a DID number and a fixed telephone number (most likely a cell phone).

Code:
1. Inbound call on one channel (channel A).
2. Ring triggers record lookup. Do not pick up inbound call.
3. Lookup DID # in DB, and get cell #.
4. Wait 30 seconds.
5. Grab one channel on T1 (Channel B),
6. and dial cell # from DB.
7. After answer, grab other open channel (Channel C),
8. provide dial tone to Channel B,
9. and pass or transfer DTMF dialing to channel C.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Couple of questions...

Why / how do you make your money out of it?
I lose the thread after step 6. If I nderstand correctly, you want to forward a DID call to a different number off site either cell or trunk (each DID to different number). I don't understand step 7, is this the begining of a seperate call?

Thanks for extra info!

Matt

Currently I have close to 1,000 cell phone users who travel Internationally. Inbound calls, in most countries, on cellular telephones are "free", or the caller pays the toll, and no minutes are deducted from the cell users account.

The rates can be as high as $5/minute! By making two outbound calls from the US (one the ring back, second leg is to the destination), I pay $0.10/minute at most for each leg, or $0.20/minute maximum! this is way better then $5... I spent over $1 million on cell in my budget last year. With this I would be spending maybe $250K. That s where the money is.
Maybe graphically it is more clear :

+<<<- - Channel A.- - - Cell User in Kenya calls DID
|
[Callback box in USA]

+-----Channel B.-->>> User in Kenya called back
|
[Callback box in USA]

+-----Channel B.-->>> User in Kenya
|
[Callback box in USA]
|
+-----Channel C.-->>> device in US grabs open channel
and provides dial tone on Channel B. (which is really coming from Channel C.)

+-----Channel B.-->>> User in Kenya dials Hong Kong
|
[Callback box in USA]
|
+-----Channel C.-->>> call destination in Hong Kong

Call has two legs each originating in US, and terminating in a foreign contry. Depending on the LD vendor this would be a Direct Dial International On-Net or Off-net call. verses GSM Mobile Originating from Kenya to Hong Kong.

Click...

the penny has dropped! ( being UK based we have different charging for cellphones i.e. it cost us to receive calls overseas. The caller gets cahrged too ain't roaming a bitch!)

you initial post was clear now I re-read it with the benefit of seeing the reason for wanting this.

How many simultaneous calls are there likely to be?
Are we looking at 24 hours operation?
Do you have a PBX and spare capacity on trunks or ability to add?

How about using something like Captaris CallXpress NT and a cunning IVR script? You'd get the benefit of Voicemail too!

Thoughts please?

Let me know how you get on

Matt

Actually, I just signed a UK deal with Orange and I do not get charged for inbound calls on my mobile. I do get charged in my London offices for fixed-to-mobile of course, but I get a discount because I ran some fibre from Orange directly to my main PBX. I am praying for an EU contract...

24 hours of operations.
Probably do not want to involve my PBX.
Willing to pull a T1/E1 for trial.
I am not familiar with the Captaris CallXpress NT package, so it might be possible.
The voice mail has no benefits to me. I have a hard time explaining to the users how to dial International...

Do you have expertise in Captaris CallXpress NT?

Yes I do

PLS do not red flag

I work for a Captaris reseller and have many years exp with the system!

I was not trying to sell you the kit, I was suggesting a potential solution! I thought you were a US based company!

CallXpress would need to sit behind a PBX (either your sire one or possibly a secondary one)

It would supply a &quot;cheap&quot; solution, depending on size that would probably give you (probably) a ROI of less than 2 months...

Regards

Matt

We are a US based company. We just have offices in 30 different countries. I will look up your stuff. Thanks

Libertate,

Callxpress is a potential choice for you, but it will not perform this type of functionality out of the box. If you do decide to progress down this route, you will need to use the IVR script capability (optional extra) to gain meet the target.

I can help you to specify the IVR stuff if you need me to.

Regards

Matt

The reason international callback system hardware is so expensive is because owners are expected to be service providers, and therefore generating revenue on their platforms, not defraying internal costs.

I would contact Dialogic (now Intel), Brooktrout and Natural Microsystems to see who they would recommend to have do your custom (or semi-custom) development. If you have any in-house programmers, they may be capable of doing this. With the current collection of object-oriented development tools out there now, even someone unfamiliar with the hardware should be able to develop this type of relatively simple application.

pansophic

Dear Liberate,

In 1999, I looked at a system for callback sold by a distributor named Loredec, based on Dialogic boards. It was relatively inexpensive then. The main expense being the dialogic board. It will set up in a regular pc. I have the Dialogic board utilized. It is a 16 port board.

You can contact them.

The distributor's contact is Mark Definderfer markd@loredec.com.
The programmer was Jack Moran. Check out
You can also check out quicknet.net

hi Libertate,

Have you made a purchase or spec?
Which way di you go?

It's always good to hear what has happened!

Matt

Hi Libertate. I think we are both looking for the same thing, i.e. cost reduction for international (roaming) calls from corporate mobile phones....

I would be very grateful if you could let me know if you've found a good solution for a cheap in-house callback engine.

BTW, I suppose you realize that the costs of international calls from mobiles (when originated from one's HOME country) can be killed by using the DISA feature available on most PABXs..

Best,

Hello,

I am looking for similar information. Did you find the callback system you were looking for?

Thanks.

S

Hello there,

I was looking for a stand-alone or server-based product to handle the call-back functionallity of our travelling users and read the thread and suggestions with interest.

However, I finally found the requested product and estimate, that an investmet in this will give pay-back within 1-2 month.

Check out
Greetings

You may also want to check with your carrier, as many of them have started charging US customers higher rates to international mobile numbers. This still may be cheaper than the wireless users calling direct, but you should be aware of it in your cost calculations.

As an international company you should consider implementing a global VOIP strategy and depending on your mobile plans ( some allow free mobile to mobile calling) implement a VOIP direct to Mobile solution. Terminate 30 calls direct to mobile for about USD$40K if my memory is correct. Your ROI should be rapid but more importantly your routing solutions will streamline your entire operation dial plan. Do not forget unified management and maintenance capabilities. This can add greatly later to your overhead if not planned for accordingly from the outset.

Gerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back