Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal ZIP works, CD-ROM doesn't on WinNT PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpger

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2004
US
Hi all,

Got an older PC running Winnt that I decided to add an internal ZIP 100MB b/c it was laying around. I have it attached to the same IDE cable as my CD-ROM (they're on secondary IDE ctrlr). Winnt recognizes the ZIP, my FDD, and my HDD (2 partitions), but it doesn't see my CDROM at all in Explorer. I'm thinking an Add Hardware might be in order, but if you fine people have an idea that might save time & headaches, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jpger

Nope I'm thinking it's a jumper issue. You need to have one master and one slave or both cable select. I would have the cdrom the master and zip drive the slave. When you boot the computer the cdrom should be there you shouldn't have to add new hardware.
Keep us updated,
Cindy

Agree with cindy1. Thing to note, prob is also symptomatic of bad zip drive. Is prob I experienced when Dell started selling Iomega100 in new systems.

Well I finally got a chance to try my luck with the jumpers. Both were on CS so I put the CD on MA & the ZIP on SL. That was all it was! Glad to find out it was something simple. Thanks to Cindy1 & mccall.

BTW, do you have any input on these two threads?
thread68-761331
thread68-754045

[yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back