Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal web feature of SBS2003 and external access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocadmin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2005
US
I'd like to set up some shared resources on the internal web on the SBS. I'd like the salespeople to be able to access the page after they have established a VPN connection.

I have a Cisco PIX 501 between the salespeople and the server. They currently can VPN in and get to email and public folders.

Is this possible? Thank you all.

As long as the VPN connection is on, they should be able to hit your internal web server/page.

Hmmm, well, it's not. I can check email, I can remote to my servers...but the web browser is still going to my default when I'm on my home PC.

When VPN'd in, are you able to access the page. That is the question you asked. Is your goal to have the default web page your internal web address when VPN'd?

You may also want to check all of your browser settings.

Last time i worked with a VPN environment, whilst connected to the VPN i didnt have free roam of the internet as the VPN Nat's all of your address's to match that of your destination VPN network.

In your browser you should be able to enter the IP of your webserver and have it connect you without any issues.

Rob

tfg13,
my goal is to enable salepeople to access the internal webpage when vpn'd in. If they need to web browse through the vpn connection when connected that's fine too. But once that vpn drops, would they still have web browsing capabilities?

TamedTech,
I'll check my browser settings as well. I may not have a NAT like you speak of and may have to get to that point.

Thank you both.

Okay. When VPN'd in, you are essentially sitting in your network. Every site they hit, would be from your network. If the VPN drops, then they would be utilizing whatever connection they use normally.

I should have mentioned this before, but some ISP's have issues running some VPN's. I know in the past, I ran into some issues with CheckPoint, and AOL....

Okay, I've never noticed whether I was using the vpn connection or my usual one.

I'm looking IE now at internet options, connections and I've added a vpn connection. Will it try that first then whatever path is available to the internet after?

I may answer my own question as soon as I post this. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back