Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal printer fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoftArt

Programmer
Feb 22, 2007
DE
Hi,
how can I select internal Printer (EPSON TM-Txx) Fonts (FontA11) in Report Designer?
It works fine in Windows XP while the Printer is selected as Default, but not in Windows 7.
In MS-Word all the Fonts are visible and selectable.

Thomas

Are you sure have the correct printer driver installed? And that this is the printer that is selected while you are designing the report? And do you have Windows fonts that match the printer-resident fonts?

If you can't answer Yes to all three questions, then you won't see the fonts in the report designer.

I'd also ask why you want to use printer-resident fonts? Windows fonts (such as TrueType) are more flexibile, and are more likely to look exactly the same on paper and screen.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Yes to all and it works fine for more than 10 years.
There wasn´t any reason to change and I notice this only now.
The internal Epson Printer Fonts are faster than all other.

Thomas

Thomas,

I've just been doing some experimenting, and I can confirm what you are seeing. In the Font dialogue in the Report Designer, I can see printer-resident fonts under XP, but not in Windows 7. My printer is an HP rather than an Epson, but I assume the same things applies.

I don't know why that should be. And I can't think of an obvious solution.

The only thing that comes to mind is that you use the generic text driver, and send implicit escape sequences to select the printer fonts you want. But that would be quite a hassle.

I wonder if anyone else has come up againt this, and has any idea how to solve it.

Mike

This is a long shot, but it might be worth a try:

1. Open the FRX as a table (with USE).

2. Open a Browse window and locate the row for any of the report expressions (look in the Name column).

3. In that row, open the FontFace memo. Type the font name, exactly as it normally appears in the Font menu (e.g. in Microsoft Word, or in VFP under XP).

4. Close the FRX table. Print the report.

(It would be sensible to do this on a copy of the report, or altneratively to make sure you have a backup of the FRX, FRT, etc.)

If the expression in question appears in the specified font, repeat the above for the entire report. But I'm not hopeful it will work.

Mike

Hi Mike,
thank you for spending time to test my problem.
I allow my customers to create a copy of the eport and design it indivdidual, so I can´t use escape sequences.
One way is to hack the frx in background after editing the Report or the user must copy and paste given controls.
Both are not really a good solution.

Thomas

Thomas,

For any given report, does the entire report use the same font (possibly at different sizes)? Or do you have a mixture of fonts in the report.

If you use only one font, then a possible solution would be to write a little procedure that sends an escape sequence to select that font, and to run that immediately before printing the report. The users wouldn't need to be aware of it. It would mean that the users won't see the font in question on the screen, but maybe you could live with that.

Mike

Mike,
I´m using different fonts in same report like FontA11, FontA12, FontA22 which are using there own fontsizes.

Thomas

That´s a good workaround to setup the report in development environment but not really for customers.

Thomas

Yes, I can understand that.

I guess the only options open to you would be:

1. Tell the customer to buy a modern laser printer. That would not only solve the problem, but would probably be faster, quieter, and perhaps cheaper to run.

2. Forgo the use of printer-resident fonts. But I take your point that these are much faster. That's because, if you were using TrueType fonts, you would have to run the printer in graphics mode, which involves several passes for each row of text.

3. Switch to a different reporting tool. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't have the same problem with, say, Crystal Reports. And that would also be more user-friendly when it comes to letting the user modify the reports. But of course you would have to recreate all the reports, and it would also need the users to be re-trained.

If I was in your shoes, I would go for the first option. But I don't know anything about your customers or their budgets.

Sorry I can't suggest a better solution.

Mike

You should rethink using printer fonts. I've seen them used, then the printer dies and the new printers don't support those fonts. It took weeks to rework every report.

Craig Berntson
.Net MVP, Author, Tech Presenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back