Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal NT error 2140 - Service will not start 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMValori

MIS
Jun 10, 1999
US
I have an HP Network ScanJet 5 scanner set up thru Jet Admin on an nt server. I have to run HP Scanner Service in order for the scanner to work. The scanner keeps giving a Transport Connection Error every now and then when someone tries to scan. HP says this can be caused when the scanner loses connection with the server. I stop the service and then try to restart it but an Internal NT error 2140 occurs when I hit the Start button. The only way I can get the service to start is by rebooting the server. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the service from the HP CD as HP has suggested. It all works fine after I go through the process but I can't understant why this problem keeps reoccuring.

Sometimes this error occurs when starting a service without the correct parameters. Try making sure the correct parameters are being entered when the service is being started. This also happens frequently with Exchange and SQL server.

You may also want to delete the registry key for this software before you reinstall it. Sometime a reinstall just overwrites and appends so if there is an entry that is causing this it will stay there.

this error often happens if srvany is used to start an applicaton as a service and one of the parms is incorrect<br>
<br>
also a known problem with File & Print service for netware<br>
spooler flakes out<br>
<br>
very common error with Exchange servers<br>
<br>
pt is 2140 just means there is a problem. When I get something like this that is a service or application, I remove it using add/remove in Control Panel and then search registry for application keys for app or service and remove them by hand. Often just removing using control panel gives one clean reinstall. Where does the driver come from? HP?

I have had a similar problem. I relaoded the HP drivers and it seemed to take care of the problem.<br>
<br>
Duff64

I've found that taking that Error Code right to Microsoft.com and searching for that error helps me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back