Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal mails are delayed on exchange 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
BE
I've run into this kind off problem before, but I never found a reason, nevermind a solution for it. The problem is this;
When we send an e-mail to a internal address from the same exchange server it doesn't get delivered to the recipient until the day after. These mails are casual mails without any attchement. There isn't any virusscanning on the exchange server, that's done on a relay host and internal mails do not get passed this server. No errors regarding the exchange server are in the event viewer either. Has anyone encoutered this before?

Sense.

I have encountered a similar situation wherein internal correspondence is taking minutes instead of almost instantenous delivery.

I just added another DC on the same subnet as E2K and make it also a GC.

Can you clarify your infrastructure design? MMaxx above describes his problem where there was a problem with authentication most likely and he fixed it by adding a DC with GC. But to take a whole day is another problem altogether. It seems as though the emails are getting routed to the relay host and held there for some reason. Have you checked your queues on I am assuming your single Exchange server? Are these emails sitting in the queues overnight? If it is delivering to the same server this is highly unlikely. Unless you have 10,000 or some ungodly large amount of users on a lone undersized server. I am assuming that is not the case. You need to investigate further to see if these emails are getting held up by exchange or the relay host. Also, let us know more about your topology and server architecture.

Grogk

Hi Grogk,

It's a SBS 2000 server with all patches applied to it and there are about 15 users (client pc's) connected to it. The server itself has a Intel Xeon 2.0GHz and 1GB RAM. So like you said, it's not the case that the server is undersized.

It doesn't happen every day that internal mails are delayed until the next day but it does happen and it's complety random. The Exchange itself is set for 'Mailbox Management' which is sheduled every saterday night.

Further more I've actived some extra logging on the exchange server in the hope that something might turn up in the eventviewer.

Thx for your help!!

Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back