Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal ISDN Trunk: System and Hardware Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

telecomadmin12

Technical User
Apr 27, 2012
DE
I am setting up internal ISDN trunks between my Avaya PBX and an IP PBX (through either a ISDN to SIP gateway or an ISDN interface on my IP PBX).
Can you walk me through the whole process of setting this up as well as advise me on the necessary hardware requirements?
These are the things I am planning to do:
Buy TN464HP circuit packs + Avaya 120A4 CSU module.
-Insert circuit pack
-Enter add DS1 + board location
-Add signaling group x; Group-Type ISDN-PRI, Primary D-Channel?
-Add ISDN trunk Group x; Service-type: tie; add 24 members

That is as far as I got on the Avaya side. What else am I missing and what other important configurations do I have to set?
Not sure about Primary D-channel on internal trunk.

Thanks once again guys. You have always been very helpful on this site on all my questions.

Providing you have all the licensing right, that's about it.
You may need to cross your cable, a straight network cable might not work.
That depends on what you connect to, see this table for the right pin assignment.
I usually don't use a CSU adapter, but make a RJ21 to RJ45 cable.
Normally Primary D is channel 16, so skip that one in your trunk members.
You should see the trunks as 'In-service', and you should be able to dial across using the TAC.
Then you need to set up call routing etc.

Thank you.
Regarding CSU modules. I know that some 120A3 can be bad, but apart from that does it matter if I am getting A2, A4, etc, or are they basically all the same?

So Primary d-channel would be 24 even if the trunk is tie and not going out to the PSTN. Good.
Also in an Avaya 8700 Maintenance Manual I read that along with a TN464 a TN1655 was required. Is that correct? See below:
The TN464 supports digital Tie, CO, and DID trunks, and OPS lines. On-boardfirmware performs call control signaling for the Tie, CO and DID trunks and OPSlines. ISDN-PRI trunk and PRI-endpoint signaling (Q.921, Q.931) is received andgenerated by system software and is transmitted on a system link through theTN1655 Packet Interface and packet bus to the UDS1 where it is placed on theD channel. Signaling over the DS1 link has to be synchronized between the transmitting and receiving ends to ensure error-free communication.
I have 8700 with CM3.0. Software Load: R013x.00.1.346.0
Memory Configuration: G3xV13

no if the trunk is a tie trunk then all channels are bearer channels, on a PRI the 24th channel is a signaling channel (dchannel)

just to be clear my comment were for a US pri ot tie trunk, been told d channel can be 16 or channel 32, do not work over seas so do not configure many of these

Thanks.
So what do I put in the primary D-channel field of the signaling group?
Also do you know if I need a TN1655 in addition to the TN464HP?
I am not sure about the circuit packs that I need, as it is an internal trunk.
Can you advise?

So if I only have B-channels on my tie trunk, would a TN767 suffice?
Cause I have plenty of these in in my inventory.

I even got a TN722B. That is a DS1 tie trunk card, maybe exactly what I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back