Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internal/external DNS resolve to internal webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayF

Technical User
Dec 21, 2001
NL
Hi,

Time to get the help of DNS experts, hope you can help me out:

I have my own domain running at Namezero, let's call it , Namezero currently do DNS for that domain and it all works good.

I have a private network at home based on Windows2000 (Active Directory, DNS, the works). I also have a separate webserver which runs several sites internally which I can access via HostHeaders (e.g. site1.athome.local , site2.athome.local).

I would like to access those sites when I am not at home using my domain (e.g. site1.domain.com, site2.domain.com). I have a single external IP address (ADSL line).
My thoughts are to use the nameservers at Namezero to forward the request to my internal name server. I can make aliasses on my internal name server (site1.domain.com -> site1.athome.local) however I don't know if the HostHeaders still work that way (since I only have 1 external IP address)

Is this the way to go , perhaps someone knows a better way ?

thanks,
Ray

If you can edit your DNS records on the nameservers at Namezero, then simply add CNAME records for site1, site2 etc.

Forward port 80 requests to your internal webserver, and the host headers should work ok.

Make sure you add the 'site1.domain.com' name to the host header for site1, same for site 2 etc.

Hi Serbtastic,

thanks for the quick reply. Yes, they do have a DNS Management option at Namezero I can buy. I'll give that a try :)

you say 'when you are not at home'...what does this actually mean?...if you are attempting access from just one pc/laptop why can't you just add a host file entry?

'not at home' meaning somewhere on the outside of my firewall. I travel a lot and would like to access the sites (e.g. family portal, work related stuff) I run at home , either through Internet Cafe's or company networks where I happen to work (I'm a freelancer).

Namezero activated the DNS management and I added an A Record (my ADSL IP address), and several CNAME's.

family.domain.com resolves to my ADSL IP, so that part works. I can also telnet to port 80 on family.domain.com and using the GET / HTTP/1.1 I receive the source of the page. I'm thinking that the PIX in between allows traffic to and from the webserver (I set the rules).

Why doesn't the page show up in a browser ??

Other question I have is, can I split the DNS so that goes to a site on the Internet and the subdomain family.domain.com goes to my ADSL IP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back