Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

gntech

MIS
Aug 24, 2003
US
I have been working on this 98 machine for a little bit. It seems everytime someone works on it gets fixed and then decides to break again. This time it is an internal error( main2_w.276 ) this only happens when the end user tries to read a flight CQ trainning progam from the CD-Rom. I have looked at everything I can think of and found nothing. I have gone on the web and the only thing I've found several people haveing the same problem trying to read a program from a cd and getting this error. Unfortunatly any of the posted problems with explinations that I've found were in what seems to be German and none of the translator sites translated it enough to understand. If anyone has any Ideas or has seen this before please let mw know. Thank you.

Seems to be a read error of your cd-drive, as far as I understood.

----------------------------------------

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
----------------------------------------
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

If the error is happening only with that one CD, then see if the same error happens with that CD on another system. If so, then the CD is either defective, scratched, or dirty.
If it's not scratched or dirty, or cleaning it does not help, then hold down the Shift key while inserting it in the drive, open Windows Explorer, right click on the drive in which the CD is inserted, click Explore, and double click the .exe file that starts the program.
If it still does not work, then the CD is defective.

If it works on another system, then make sure all of your CD-ROM drive's connections are secure, its jumper setting is correct, there are no problems with the drive in Device Manager, and its IDE controller is enabled in BIOS.

If those are ok, then start in Safe mode, remove all optical drives from Device Manager, and restart the system.

If no luck, then connect a different power lead to the drive.

If still no luck, then clean the drive lens.

If that does not work, then install a different IDE(ribbon) cable on the drive(make sure that the blue or red or gray stripe along the one edge of the cable is next to the power lead on the back of the drive and next to pin 1 at the MB connector).

If nothing works, then the drive may be faulty.
See if it works on another system.
If not, then it's bad.

I have already tested the hardware, it is not the CD nor the CD rom (the guy has two and it happens with both roms), the CD works fine on other computers, and it isn't that it can't read the cd. If you right click the CD icon and click open you can everything except the executibles. I went through everything that could possibly be wrong with it, the only thing that I havn't tried is the removal of the optical drivers.I'm going to try that. Of couse this box is win98 SE and every machine that I found reporting this problem has the same OS could it be a bug in the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back