Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal epolicy Orchestra Automatic Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer01

Technical User
Nov 17, 2008
US
Hi! Our IT department recently upgraded ePolicy Orchestra to 4.0 version and now setup the clients mcafee 8.5 to update from internal ePolicy Orchestra server is no longer the same as before. I was told when I install mcafee 8.5 client program on window client machine, the agent is already included in the package and update should automatically point to local repository list of the internal server. I done this on so many machines and none has ever work.They keep pointing to extenal repository list of NAIHttp and NAIFTP. What I would like to see is the Local ePolicy Orchestra server, local_orgranization_Update, listed on the reposistory update list as an example. I am new to the system and would like to find out where I can get a basic training to manage it. I have hard time following my system administrator guy because I don't think he know what he is doing. I can't really depend on him because even if he does know what he is doing I think he has been misleaded the information. I just added new workstation on the network today and I cannot manually push out the agent from the ePolicay server because I cannot even see the new workstation listed in local ePolicy Orchestra workstions reporting status database. I don't even know how to manually added new workstion in the local database reporting list. I've very feel frustracted with this and hope someone with experience would be kind enough to help me move on with this thing. My apologize if none of this make sense to any of you guy.
Thank you so much in advance.

Dream

Dream,

Not sure if this will get you started but from the ePO management web page, go to 'Systems', then manually add one or more systems via 'New Systems', pushing out the agent that way.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much Jeff,
you have saved me so much troubles. I have tried and the workstation is abled to get an update from the internal ePoliyc Orchestra server. However, I still have some problem, some of the worskstations is reported not compliance even thought the Mcafee engine and virus definition are uptodate.
I also checked to make sure windows security is updated too. The last thing that I did was removed the none compliance workstation from the System group and added it back in again but now the error log said failure to communicate with agent and when you look in the System Group no detail information status about the workstation which I just added back in is available. I am not sure where else to troubleshoot. When I try to resart Network Associates Mcshield, Network Associates Task Manager, Mcafee Frame Services from the workstation the error popped up "Access denny" but I have logon as local administrator. I am not sure if this will fix the problem but I gave it try anyway. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you again in advance.

Dream

The non-compliance issue could be one of many things, perhaps as simple as an agent version slightly older, etc. It just depends on the filtering in place that defines 'non-compliance'. You would need to review that policy and determine if the non-compliance is an actual issue for you.

You will get access denied when attempting to stop/start McAfee services - this is an out-of-the-box policy - see VSE 8.5.0 > Access Protection Policies > Common Standard Protection and uncheck the blocking of 'Prevent termination of McAfee processes' if you feel you must stop these services. I would recommend uninstalling the Agent (this may require terminating the process as defined above, just remember to change that back after) and uninstalling the VSE from the PC as well. Then reboot, then push the agent out again via the ePO console and then push the 8.5 (or 8.7) out to the PC, also using the ePO console.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Thank you Jeff! I have follow the steps above and I can only get some Mcafee client to report the update status to the server. I tried uninstalled the mcafee from the client workstation that has problem snd reinstalled and checked to make sure no firewall, or proxy turn on but still many are not reporting. What is interesting is that I have found out that many workstion have virus definitions updating fine when I visit them and some does not. I keep thinking there maybe a problem with the framepkg on server side but I do not want to jumpt ahead of myself because about 80% of the computers on network are reporting find.
From your experience do you think I could have left something out. Your advice to help me narrow down this problem is greatly appreciated.

Dream

Dream,

I have noticed that some units may not report but are updating ok as well, though not 20% of them having a problem - far, far less.

From your posts I cannot see where anything has been left out and the fact that 80% seem fine leans that way. Is there something unique about the units wit problems (different domain, non-domain, etc.)?

If you have a valid grant #, it may be time to submit a trouble call to McAfee. I have had very good success with their support in the past.

Let me know what you find out!

Thanks - Jeff

Thank you Jeff for all your help and patient. Fortunately, I have learned a lot from your advices and suggestions. The problem seemed to be on the workstations. All the new workstation I put out there seemed to be no problem. The existing workstation which we have upgraded the Mcafee 8.0 to 8.5 is the one that has problem.

Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back