Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internal domain.local cannot access www.domain.md

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilntruong

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2003
US
Hi all,

I've just set up AD and DNS on win2k3. Internal domain: domain.local, I am unable to access secure.domain.md. I created a new zone in the dns server and all the workstation uses the local DNS server as it's primary dns server.

Created new zone: domain.md with "secure" as "A" host.
When I ping secure.domain.md it gives me the server's external ip. When I ping secure.domain.md.DOMAIN.LOCAL then it will give me the internal IP. How can I get rid of the "DOMAIN.LOCAL"

Thanks all

How did you go about creating the new zone? Did you right-click the Forward Lookup Zone folder and choose "New Zone" or did you right click Domain.local and choose "New Domain"? If you did the latter, it will cause all the problems you are having. I would delete the zone (which probably shows up as a sub-zone underneath domain.local) and create the zone by right-clicking Forward Lookup Zone and choosing "New Zone." You will not have this problem if you do that.

ShackDaddy

Thanks ShackDaddy,

You are absolutely correct. I actually did it both ways and both ways did not work. I finally got it to work. I just had to give the DNS some time to start pointing to the correct location. I thought that after I make the new zone, the change would be instantaneous but I guess I was wrong. Thank you so much for you help ShackDaddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back