Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal Dialing Correct, Calling Through AA With Extension Swapped, Mailboxes Swapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxisAutomation

Technical User
Oct 26, 2021
US
Hello everyone,

I am having quite a time trying to figure out how to resolve this issue.

I have two (2) extensions that are swapped somehow. The extensions in question are x228 and x254. When dialing internally, the correct extension rings. However, when dialing the extensions through the AA, the other extension rings. What's more is that the mailboxes for both extensions are also swapped.

I have confirmed that they are landed on the switch board correctly. I have confirmed that the extensions are assigned to the correct ports on the switch. I have deleted and remade mailboxes for both extensions. To no avail.

I appreciate any insight. If this problem was already answered on another thread, I apologize.

Have you done "Feature" *0 to find out if you have the correct extension number and then press # to confirm if you are on the correct port.

Sometimes having extension relocation enabled messes up the numbering plan. You might need to turn off the feature if it's enabled and reboot your Norstar to get it all synced again.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

I find a lot of people screw it up even more while trying to fix it.

What should be done is to see what DN the phones are per above.
Turn Set Relocation ON
Put the phones where they need to go (based on the DN, not the actual users phone)
Once the DN is in the office where it should be then turn Set Relocation Off
Move the phones back to where they belong based on the actual users phone, this way the DN stays with the jack and not the phones.
Save a bunch of un-necessary programming.

On older software moving phones too fast can mess things up too.

The Mailbox is associated with the DN, it will not change unless you go into the mailbox in admin and change it.
If after fixing the DNs:
If 228 still rings when calling 254 from AA then it might mean vmail is confused, reboot it.

I think your in my neighborhood axis?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Firebird and curlycord,

Thanks for the responses.

I have done *0 to confirm the extensions at the handsets and confirmed the ports. I have also gone back to the switchboard and unplugged each extension to make sure the correct handset goes to the correct terminal.

Set relocation is currently turned off, and has never been turned on. We play musical chairs here pretty frequently, so I am tasked with having everyone's extensions follow them when they move. Traditionally, I have achieved this by simply swapping the lines at the switch board. No phones move and everyone keeps there extension and mailbox.

To be clear, internal dialing works fine. if I dial x228 from any phone in the building - x228 rings and can answer. Same with x254. However, upon no answer, x228 will use x254's mailbox, and vice versa.
I have deleted those mailboxes and reassigned new ones to each extension - same issue.

Using my cell phone, I can call the AA, and simply type in the extension I want to connect to. But when I dial x228 - x254 rings - and x228's mailbox is used.

I apologize for repeating myself. I hope you understand my issue a little clearer. I appreciate the responses.

As for being in your neighborhood - We are located in central Wisconsin.

Let me explain how the system and voice mail function.

Calling a DN from another DN, the system rings the port associated with that DN. Simple

When dialing into a voice mail Auto-attendant the caller is actually dialing the mailbox. When dialing mailbox 228 the DN associated to the MB (ext254) is called and any msgs are left in mailbox 228. Make sure the DN assoc with the mailbox is correct.

If they are and erasing these two mailboxes and recreating them does not correct it, a reinstall is required or use different mailbox number.

Marv ccna

Thank you all for the responses.

I had gone through all the steps above except for one. Rebooting the system.
We have an 8x24 system here, and I had read the reboot process which includes this line - Say a prayer and wait for it to hopefully come back up!

I said my prayers and it come back up, all good now.

Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back