Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal and external Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornis

Technical User
Feb 20, 2001
SE
Hi!
I'm thinking of setting up one external exchange and one internal exchange (behind firewall). we have control of the DNS-servers. The external will have a valid ip-adress and the internal will have standard ip-adress for internal network (192.168...). What is the easiest way to have the external exchange reroute the mail to the internal (some of the mail should stay on the external, different domains)?

Thansk
/Bjornis

I have the same problem now, some people tell me that add a NIC to external exchange server and connect it to LAN, I think it will work but it is not safe for the system.

Do you find some method to resolve it ? Can you give me idea for it , thanks

Presume you have some kind of firewall in between (otherwise change careers).

Have the firewall do NAT for you. Send all incoming mail to the Firewall and have that pass it on to the 192.168 address internally.

Then you only need one Exchange server, so multiple server nonsense and plenty of security.

Running 2 gives you a sort of DMZ idea, but without expert knowledge, can leave easy ways into your network for a hacker. Should get some nice flames on that remark... LOL

if exchange server place at LAN port of firewall and enable NAT for the exchange server, is need to add the rule such as "WAN to LAN " with service smpt and pop3 to firewall ? if do it, is safe for system ?

Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back