Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal & External DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKNinja

MIS
Nov 17, 2002
US
Guys,

I haven't figure this out yet and hope someone can give me a pointer.

We have internal web server call webserver.abc.local with local domain name abc.local. From the public network (internet), you can access the website on this server by going to However, internally, I need to access it with How should I configure the DNS server so it directs LAN users that try to access to the same websites on webserver.abc.local instead of using a UNC name?

you have to set on your DNS a new Forward Lookup Zone with the name abc.com, then create a CNAME (right-click on your mouse) and write Alias Name and write webserver.abc.local on Fully Qualified domain name (FQDN) target host.

Well, those insructions are for Windows Server 2003 with the DNS Service activated.

It works, thank you Siki85. Now, I have test.ABC.com hosted outside of the LAN. I added the CNAME "test" to the ABC.com with FQDN of the external IP address. However, the LAN workstation doesn't seem to be able to resolve that. What have I done wrong?

Never mind, I got it. Using A Record instead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back