Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermitting dial tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaad

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I have a MICS 6.0 that is acting funny.

Very frequently when you access an outside line you get no dial tone and the display on the phone will not show the line you have selected. It will still show the time and date as if the card does not exist.

Then a few minutes later it will work fine but with alot of crackling. These trunks are on the KSU, there is no trunk mod.

Could it be a bad trunk card / power supply? Or corrupt data?

About a week ago this system lost power and I had to restore the program from a backup done in September.

Start to see if the problem follows the phone, then switch port,interchange 2 lines. Maybe just a stuck key on the phone.

it happens on all telephones, lines are clear from the dmarc.

I know that on a power up the phone will work almost right away, if you have a system with CLID cards especially, the lines may take 5,10,15 minutes before you can access a line.
Is your system on a UPS? Is the software cartridge loose remove it and make sure it is seated properly.

the system is on a UPS as of last week. i will check the software. I don't think I have CLID cards in there.

Those cards are pretty robust. However, once in awhile they go bad. If the trunks are clear @ the demarc, I would suspect the port/card. Look at line pools and such to 'best guess' which card and port is the trouble maker. Put all the lines on a 7324 so you can see all the lines as they are accessed. I would disable and re-enable that port (201,202,....) first, replace card second. Based on your description, that card is introducing a short into the circuit............

yes, it was a bad trunk card, I replaced it and it works good.

haven't seen a bad trunk card in years.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back