Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent reboot of FC4700 SP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teutenfw

Programmer
Dec 11, 2004
US
One of my SPs reboots on it's own after a few minutes. Sometimes it doesn't boot at all and beeps as if there is a memory problem. I reseated the memory and CPUs but to no avail. Any suggestions on what to do next? I have a spare SP from a IP4700, what do I need to do to convert this to a SP for my FC4700? Thanks!

Unfortunately no EMC support. I tried to purchase a contract but they wanted (no joke) $70k to support my newly acquired FC4700 (hardware and software) for one year. I have begged them for months to get access to their knowledge base but I can't get a PowerLink account either. It has been very frustrating. I am glad I found this forum. I hope to get some good info and get my FC4700 up and running. I have been reading everything I can find on the Internet. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Park Place International is a well known support service that may be able to quote a better price on the maintenance.
Another option is to return the sp for depot repair to either EMC or PPI. That is usually a flat rate repair. Then there's always ebay. There are a few 4700's listed today.
If you still want to troubleshoot on your own, you could try swapping in the memory /cpu from the ip4700.
You could remove i/o cards to see if that makes a diff.
There could be a thermal issue on that sp.
Treat it like you would a pc that was giving you this prob.

Ok, thanks. And if the SP motherboard is the problem, can I simply use the SP from the IP4700 with a mod. I presume I need different kernel software or whatever EMC calls it, but can someone please confirm this? I would of course move the fiber IO cards. But how do I obtain and then load the software on the SP to convert it from a IP4700 to a FC4700 SP?

When the 4700's role is changed, the procedure includes an sp swap. If the boards look identical, then it's likely that the hard drive is the difference. The NT OS on the integrated hard drive is specially tuned for the role it is assuming... ie: NAS or Direct/San attached. You would have to go to EMC for the storage software license. You may be able to clone the drive but no guarantees there.

Thanks maultier. After swapping two replacement CPUs my SP has been running all afternoon. I am hopefully optimistic it is fixed but a few more days will make me feel better. Using a Null modem cable I have successfully connected to the troublesome SP (SPA) and then used I Navisphere Manager to communicate with SPA. Nav Manager reports no faults for the array. The only thing is SPA now reports it is unmanaged, which is correct since it wasn't working when I configured the good SPB a few days ago. But, I reviewed every menu choice I could find and I can't figure out how to get SPA to report it is managed. Once I achive that then I can set the LAN IP, etc for SPA and then I can proceed with my configuration.

'unmanaged'usually indicates that navi agent isn't running on the sp. Rebooting the sp should take care of that. It could also be that that sp has no disks assigned and therefore nothing to manage. Assign (bind) a disk to that sp to see if that helps.

Rebooting the SPs didn't make them both appear "managed". To make both of them appear as managed under Navisphere Manager, both have to be configured on the Find Agent screen. After hours and hours of frustration I have finally figured this out. Now both SPs properly report managed.

I presumed, incorrectly, that when Navisphere Manager was communicating with either SP that it could fully manage the entire FC4700. What is now clear is that Navisphere Manager must be communicating with both SPs. I guess another way of saying it is that Navisphere Manager can't communicate with SPA through SPB, and vice versa. Knowing this, I don't see how Navisphere Manager could EVER report both SPs managed when using one null modem cable, and I suppose it can't. It wasn't until I had both SPs configured to work on the LAN, and then had both SPs IP address configured on the find agent screen that I achieved success.

My next problem is a software update. I have two NDU files that I need to load. I tried to install each individually and then both together after I got the FC4700 to report no faults and both SPs as managed, but I always received the error "Transfer of the file failed." Any ideas? Thanks!

Yes.. all that is true. Serial port only manages one sp at a time. If you're hooked into spa..it only sees spa's agent. The agents cannot communicate via the sp peer bus. Glad you figured it out though. What's the current rev and what rev are you trying to install?

Current revs: Base 08.41.09, Navisphere 5.1.0.3.4, PROM 5.94.00. It was recommended to me that I upgrade 6.2.0.6.2 and I now have two NDU files, one is NavisphereServer and the other is ArrayManager. I was instructed to follow the directions in the Navi Mgr Guide and I attempted to do so. I followed the directions for the FC4700. There are some alternate directions for pre FC4700 units but since I have a FC4700 I didn't try those yet (also said only a service rep should do it but in my case that isn't an option). As always, thanks!

OK.. well, you have a pretty low rev of code there.
Current level is 08.51.10
It could be that your rev is so low that it simply will not allow you to update with the ndu's you have.
Some other thoughts...
Make sure that you're speed is correct on both ends (1gb or 2gb). If it's mismatched, you could get this transfer error.
You could try typing in the ndu's that you want to update (enclosed in quotes and spaces between ndu's) instead of using the drop down menu.
You may need to have PowerPath installed so that the sp's can fail over as they do the ndu updates.
Getting a more current rev of the flare code would be a good thing to do as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back