Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent msdtc problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjax0330

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2005
US
Since upgrading our sql sql servers from 2000 to 2005 on win2k3 servers, we've been having some distributed transaction problems. They seem to be intermittent messages about not being able to enlist transactions. I have checked around and most articles say that it has to do with security in the msdtc options under component services and all that seems to be good. I have been playing with the dtcping utility and am getting the follwing error. I have checked and the rpc service is started and the dtc service is started and so on.

DTCping log file: C:\Documents and Settings\joe\Desktop\Tempx\VOICESERVER11924.lRPC server is ready
Please Start Partner DTCping before pinging
++++++++++++Validating Remote Computer Name++++++++++++
Please refer to following log file for details:
C:\Documents and Settings\joe\Desktop\Tempx\VOICESERVER11924.log
Invoking RPC method on sqlserver2
Problem:fail to invoke remote RPC method
Error(0x6D9) at dtcping.cpp @303
-->RPC pinging exception
-->1753(There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.)
RPC test failed

Thanks, Joe

Are you doing DTC transactions through a firewall?
Are any of the servers clustered?
Have you specified the number of TCP ports which can be used in the component services applet?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

No firewall.
No clustered servers.
I have added the maxuserport = 50000 in the tcpip parameters registry setting.

Thanks,
Joe

Anything from DTC in the error log?
Can you post a screen shot of the DTC configuration window in the Component Services window?

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

[noevil]

I don't see anything in sql or the system and application logs. I don't seem to be able to open the dtc log, is there something special I need to view this log?
Not sure how to post screenshot here but here is a link that I have it saved to so you can view.

The URL will do fine.

Try enabling TIP and XA Transactions on both servers and restarting DTC on both machines.

I assume that both machines DTC settings are set like this?

Denny

[noevil]

I have tried that too. And both servers are the same. I think we might be calling Microsoft today.

Thanks,
Joe

Sounds like it.

Good luck.

Denny

[noevil]

Thanks, I did get them to send me this cumulative post sql 2005 sp2 hotfixes and while the dtc issue is intermittent so we might not know for a few days whether that helped, it did seem to help performance issues a lot and took care of a couple other things here and there. I'll post a reply next week if the dtc issue is resolve or not but here is the information about this cumulative update. You have to contact Microsoft to actually get this and they have a password to extract it that expires every 7 days so they don't make it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back