Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobascojojo

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
Hello All,

I have a workstation in an Active Directory network that is losing internet connection about 2-3 times a day that last about 3 min. of no connection. The loss of connection is only to the internet, not the intranet. The workstation can access everything within our network and can ping internal ip addresses. However, the workstation cannot resolve any external website addresses. During the 3 minute connection loss, all other workstations within our network have no problems accessing the internet, so the problem is specific to the one workstation. I did a search and could not find a solution specific to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Try a driver update, check all cables, replace the NIC. This is not a software OS/or client issue. This is a basic issue with your connection.

1) Update your BIOS and motherboard drivers

2) Determine the problem:

Try connecting the machine (as is) to another network connection in the office (DO NOT CHANGE THE NETWORK CABLE)

If this works, it is the wiring in your wall (maybe someone is running a shredder for 3 minutes near the cable or something goofy)...

If this does not work, move back to the orginal network connection and replace the network patch cable

If this works, it is the cable, if not it is the network card or PC.

Update the network card drivers, if this works, it was the drivers, if not it is hardware or OS

Uninstall the network card drivers, shut down the machine, remove the network card and then boot back up with the network card out. Shut the machine back down and place the network card back in the machine, but in a diffrent slot. Reinstall the drivers.

If this fails, the next step is to replace the network card.

If this fails, the next step is to reinstall the OS... if that fails, you need a new PC :)

CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Thanks bcastner and CharlieJax for the help. An update of the problem:

I updated the drivers and the problem still persisted. Then I replaced the NIC yesterday and the problem hasn't come up yet. BUT, another workstation within our network started having the same problems. I'll try CharlieJax's step 2) and see what happens. It takes a while for the problem to show up because sometimes the interval is 2 hours and sometimes the interval is 6 hours. So I guess I will just have to wait and see.

You might want to look at your forwarder entries. A set of notes that has proven helpfull in the past: faq779-4017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back