Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent Illegal Command Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calen

Programmer
Sep 19, 2002
US
Hi all,

We have a validated system running Windows 2k and ARCServe 7, and I've been tasked with making ARCServe restart automaically when the server is rebooted. (Currently someone has to remember to restart ARCServe after the system is restarted.) However, when I set the ARCServe DB, Tape and Job Engine services to automatic, the next scheduled backup job fails. But the same backup jobs runs successfully each night, or when manually rescheduled. Just not after a restart.

Having a validated system means that we can't upgrade or update any of the software without the entire system being re-validated, so that will not be an option.

When the backup job fails, here is the message from the log:
"E3714 Unable to write to media (MEDIA = Serail Media Thur, EC=ILLEGAL COMMAND)"

The exact same backup job is being used for both the successful and the failed runs.

Can anyone give me a clue what "illegal command" is being issued after a reboot, that isn't being issued the rest of the time? Or how to find out? Or how to correct it?

Thanks in advance,

Calen

DBA & VB Programmer

Thanks for the reply, DavidMichel.

No, without the Tape Engine service the backups don't work.

As this is being done on a validated system, I don't have the leeway to experimentally edit the registry.

Is there any other way known to get ARCServe 7 to automatically start after a reboot and correctly run the next scheduled backup?

Thanks again,

Calen

Calen
Systems Computer Process Engineer

the idea was to see if the illegal command only happens when the tape engine starts automatically, and if you restarted the system and then after it was up manually started the tape engine, would jobs run correctly or would you still have the illegal command.

but since you can not make any changes on the system it seems that you are stuck with the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back