Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

intermittent failure to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfellow

MIS
Jan 6, 2004
US
Hi all,

I have an office with a number of PCs. A while ago I has 1 PC start having problems booting up. About every other time I pushed the power button, the LEDs would come on, the fans would spin, but the PC would not even reach the post screen - just a blank screen and no initial beep (which normally happens during boot). If I turned the power off at the PSU, then powered on the PC and it would run fine all day.

I tried troubleshooting this by swapping out each individual component at a time, including PSU, motherboard, memory, and hard drive, all with the same result. I finally ended up putting the whole PC aside and setting up a new one from scratch, including new case. I chalked it up to maybe two defective motherboards (both ECS K7VZM) and forgot about it.

Recently, I've had two other PCs begin to exhibit this problem. One also has an ECS K7VZM, but the other is an Asus A7V600. I thought maybe my PSUs were going bad, as they were getting fairly old (and were only 300w) but I swapped out one PSU today with a 340w and there was no change in the problem. Virtually every other boot attempt results in fan running, lights on, but no post. The PC only has the motherboard with a Duron 1500mhz, a 20GB HD, 1 NIC and 1 PVI video card, so we're not talking about a lot of power need here.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? The thing that has me most puzzled is how only every other boot attempt does this, while the other attempts boot up and run just fine all day.

Not booting cold, but does on reboot, sounds like a power problem. The only common between all computers sounds like an INPUT power problem. Have an electrician check power at the wall. If all systems are running through a UPS, bypass the UPS and see if this is the problem.

My guess is a short. Had a similar problem once that never did get fixed. Cleaning the case helped but only for a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back