Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent Connectivity - Best Options 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG14

Programmer
Sep 26, 2003
GB
Hi All,

Just a quickie fish for information.

What is the best way to Intermittently Connect a laptop to the Domain?

Currently, the laptops plug into the Network and can use the internet connection and the servers mail service, but to access Program Databases (Client Databases) they must Type in their Username and Password into a "Connect To <Server>" Box.

Is there any way I can 'poll' the server to check for connection without them needing two different accounts (and thus two different Desktops, My Docs etc,) one for local and one for network access...

Any information would be gratefully received and will be rewarded with a virtual pint.

Regards,

Jag14

yosherrs.gif

[tt]'Very funny, Scotty... Now Beam down my clothes.'[/tt]

just add the laptops to the domain that way the only authenication will be when they log in to the domain

Windows XP laptops?

If so you can make the laptop a member of the domain then the user won't be asked for a password as they can logon using their domain acount even if they aren't connected too the network.

All of the above are correct, what you would also want to do, is copy their client profile to the new domain profile, so either way they will not see any differences.

Good luck

I Hope i'm not breaking any rules but i'm going to award you all a star. One each for the cross-post and one for the profile response. Thank you all immensely. Virtual Pint on Me.

yosherrs.gif

[tt]'Very funny, Scotty... Now Beam down my clothes.'[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back