Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittent backup on UNIX boxes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimDoddery

Technical User
Jan 14, 2006
US
Hi all....
We have Legato running on Solaris, and 3 HP-UX servers
being backed up. The backups keep failing intermittently. I
noticed the service port range on the Legato server is
smaller than the service port range on the 3 clients. Could this be affecting the backups ? I only have the most basic UNIX knowledge, and our Unix Admin left for greener pastures. Any ideas ? Thanks

Smaller than on the clients? - Probably, if you look at the default range. However, a client only uses two (2) service ports. So, most likely, this will not apply.

The question is how the backups fail. But if they are working in general, i expect a network related problem for temporary problems. You should check things like NIC setup and name resolution.

Certainly makes sense....the range on the server is 7937-9336, whereas the range on the clients is 7937-9936.

I thought this was maybe a typo, but if it's more than likely not the cause, I won't worry about it.

I very much appreciate your help. Thanks. You'll here more from me, I'm sure.

sounds like someone has changed the networker servers port range at one point in time, and then tried to put it back to its Default Port range and made a typo.....the clients are showing the Default port range correctly, but realisticly will only be using their required 2 ports 7937-7938 for the nsrexecd services.

If you can advise what your errors are, someone here is most certainly be able to assist in identifying the cause.

The network team thinks this is not a Legato issue, so...

I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you very much.

Networker will use only these ports 7937 and 7938 exclusively to perform the backups. Please, follow the advise of Rexxy and let the network team know about it.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back