Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

intermittantly unable to connect to 1 server on our network

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltex66

Technical User
Oct 26, 2002
AU
Hi all
My problem is this: There is one server in our domain that for some reason will intermittantly refuse a connection requiring you to retry about 5-10 times before it allows you to connect. ie, i will type in \\server\c$ and i will get the message: "cannot find server make sure path name is correct" or words to that effect. i then refresh about 5-10 times and i am allowed connection. This happens from command prompt, email ,accounting programs etc but only intermittantly. Every other server on our network is behaving normally. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Just a few quick checks to do.

Is the server setup with either WINS or DNS.
if so is it registered in WINS or DNS.
can you do a ping server without timeout.

Just a thought but could your server be falling asleep? Check you power management settings...

Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

Also look for old hosts or lmhosts, if you don't have any, try adding them. MS said DNS was supposed to take their place, but you know them. Try mapping a drive and see what happens. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Thanks for the replies,i have added the server to my hosts file and since then i have not had any problems connecting. The server in question is a DNS and WINS server. Would this have something to do with the WINS resoloution? Thanks again for your help.

Would this have something to do with the WINS resoloution? Possibly. Did you try the nslookup pranacaloy suggested? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

troubleshooting :
tracert
nslookup
ping

if you type nslookup. it will tell you what default server name? like a.site.com and address: ip address. so you ll know where it comes from?

I always do troubleshooing to use that tools before i go ahead.

If I am wrong. I respect you guys include GlenJohnson

----------
Caloy
----------

Thanks again for your help. Tracert, nslookup and ping are all normal. The give me server details and all connect in 10ms, never giving me any problems but then 2 seconds after a successful ping i am unable to connect to the server. Very strange.

Hi,
take a look in the eventlog.
This can be almost any problem, but they use to generate a log.

If you are using AD. Check the time settings (inkluding timezon)!
Kerbros (used to validate user) is time sensitive.

Best Regards
Wibbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back