Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intermittant Logon Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

micon55

MIS
Feb 22, 2001
GB
Hi there,
We have a W2K domain with W98 clients. I have ceated a logon script as a stand alone batch file. This batch file maps to a network share. I have placed the batch in the sysvol\sysvol\domain\scripts directory.

The problem I'm having is that the script only works intermittantly, rarely works first time, normally works OK second time. I know the script is OK because when it does work, it's perfect. Also, this is not a machine based issue, the same happens on every client machine.

Anyone seen this before. Very grateful for some pointers.
Thanks
Mike

I am having the same problems with my Win2K servers...

I have a batch file set as the logon script for my users, but the script is not being executed. Does anyone have any idea why the logon script isn't being initiated? It is an all Windows 2000 network with a few XP workstations here and there...

Make sure your DNS server is working 100%. Sometimes if it's not, the clients can't resolve the domain names properly. Jeff Warmuth
MCSE, CNE
ICQ 129152989

All DNS servers are up to par.. Any other ideas?

Not thinking you're a monkey, but have you made sure they have proper file rights?

Myself I prefer to put my logon scripts in the \\%server%\netlogon share. That way all the appropriate rights are already taken care of. :p

Also, can you run the script from on the client workstations manually by doing a start>run>%logonscriptpath%? Jeff Warmuth
MCSE, CNE
ICQ 129152989

dumb question, but are your login scripts on both your PDC and BDC? the user may authenticate to either server and run the login script, if the user authenticates to the BDC and the logon scripts are not there, they will not run.

utting the scripts in \\%server%\netlogon share allow you to setup directory replication between pdc and bdc so ya don't have to copy scripts all the time.

just humor me please...how are you determining that the script is failing? what is it supposed to be doing?

To tickle your funny bone,

The script is written to synchronize the workstation clock with a server clock, establishes company standard drive mappings,then proceeds to run an external audit process, depositing the results in a share for collection by the master audit application.

Through a manual call, the batch runs flawlessly and everything is as it should be.

The domain is a native Win2000 where all domain controllers have the script in their netlogon share folder.

I can effectively say that the script is not being executed because the system clock is not being changed, the audit is not being performed, and the mapped drives are not being mapped. Seems conclusive to me that the script is not being run...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back