Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interface Valcom V-2924 to hosted Netsapiens

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbinf00

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2022
US
We've moved a client to a SkySwitch hosted system (based on Netsapiens). They have a Valcom V-2924 multizone talkback system that we now need to tackle. Anyone have experience with the best way to go about this? First thought was ATA with FXO port, but I'm not sure this is the best approach.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

SkySwitch has the info related to paging...

Configure Multicast Paging

Connect to an Overhead Paging System

I guess an ATA would be the best solution for your older Valcom product.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Yeah, I know they handle multicast paging, but in this case having a tough time wrapping my head around it, as I feel like the phone system has little to do with the paging, and the multicast is being handled by the Valcom. Again, logically, it seems like an ATA treating the Valcom as a phone line would simply send the tones to open up the channel then send the voice over the analog line. Same for other tones used to pick a classroom/speaker. Am I oversimplifying it, or is this really all about the ATA, not the paging?

It sounds like you have Hosted VoIP SIP phones and not an actual "phone system".

You are correct...
For external paging the phones are just the microphone.
The ATA is just the messenger.
The paging system is just the speaker.
The person standing by the speaker is just a dummy.

Digital Phone system via page port, analog station port or analog trunk port > Viking V-2924
SIP Set(hosted or onsite PBX) > SIP ATA > Valcom V-2924 (Older Analog Paging system)
SIP Set(hosted or onsite PBX) > Valcom V-ACS45 (Newer SIP Paging system)

SIP ATA
SIP V-ACS45 V-ACS45

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Try using a VOX SIP unit. Made for connecting to legacy paging systems and connecting to a modern sip capable PBX, whether premise-based or hosted. I have a whole bunch of them deployed and they work great. With a license, you can even get scheduled announcements out of them.

We use Cyberdata SIP paging adapters on skyswitch all the time. very easy to set up.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Vive Communications

Ok, guys, sorry to be thick, but...

It would seem to make perfect sense that all I needed was an ATA with FXO port. I mean, the communications between the old phone system and either of these two devices is just an analog circuit, correct? So where it's confusing is (and maybe I just don't understand the difference) why I'd need a VOX SIP unit or a Cyberdata SIP Paging adapter vs. just a SIP ATA with FXO port(s). Don't both the VOX and the Cyberdata provide some paging functions already provided by the paging system itself?

There's not much difference in the cost of the three solutions, I'm just not clear on why the two that have 'paging' in their name are required.

Thanks for your patience!

Chuck

Legacy paging systems and modern voip systems are usually a nightmare these days. Most legacy paging systems were set up to accommodate the PBXs of the times. Some used trunk interfaces (FXO), some used analog ports (FXS) and some used paging ports like Norstar/NCMs. Almost all modern voip systems can have the FXO or FXS capability with the right hardware but even with that, there is usually some kind of paging module to connect to. Your system probably has that if you're looking at an FXO interface. If I had the choice though, I would use an FXS interface.

The nice part about the VOX-SIP, Cyberdata, Algo etc units is they are sip devices that register directly to the PBX whether premise based or hosted and provide a proper 600 ohm output that is designed to connect directly to legacy amplifiers without the need for any kind of adapter. I've used all of them and they all work well but the one thing I liked about the VOX unit was if you don't want the scheduled announcement option, you don't have to pay for it. If and when you want to add it, you just buy a license to enable it so for basic paging, it is a lot cheaper than the others. It also has a separate input for a music source and also has several notification tones loaded into them (you can add your own if you wish). There is a single output from it that connects to the "tel" connection of the amp and all audio is sent out via this connection. Volume controls for the paging, music and tones is controlled separately via the VOX unit with the master volume being the control on the amp. Very easy to set up and use and a lot more secure.

I went to these because I got tired of dealing with paging systems that were set up by people who didn't know what they were doing and trying to figure how to duplicate their mistakes. This unit (and the others) give you pretty much complete control over paging without all the complications and poorly installed systems.

You can do it with ATAs as long as the paging system is one that can handle them. If you choose FXO, remember that for it to work, the end device must supply the talk battery (48v) for it to work and amplifiers do not do that (hence the paging adapters) and if you use FXS, you will provide the 48V and the amplifier has to be able to handle that as well as the ring voltage (90VAC). so good luck with it.

Ok, so the VOX SIP unit does pretty much replace the intelligence of the Valcom V-2924 unit, correct? Valcom says they require an FXO port, which is how we first got onto the idea of the Valcom VIP-822A. Both the Viking door unlock unit and the Valcom V-2924 paging unit require an FXO port, and the VIP-822A has two of them.

I assume that all of the things that you're talking about (scheduled announcements, music source, notification tones, etc.) are now being provided by the V-2924, which is why I'm a little confused how the two work together.

Thanks

That device looks like a paging system and adapter all in one so if it says it needs a CO trunk, then they will be supplying all the necessary voltages for it to work so you should be able to use an FXO interface unit for it. I also think that stuff is old and is no longer manufactured but if it works now and everyone is happy with it, then I would go ahead with your ATA solution.

If it ever needs to be replaced though, then these modern interfaces would be the way to go.

Yes the devices can do a lot. We generally dont use them for that. we use them as the interface between Skyswitch and the analog paging system. the devices register to the cloud system as a SIP handset. What i like about this is we just use a busy indicator(BLF) of the paging user on the phones and you can simply press the button and be connected to the paging. i normally set my cyber datas up to bybass the DTMF menu and go straight to page. We are generally connecting to existing paging equipment so all we are looking for is that SIP interface to the cloud.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Vive Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back