Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interface is down, line protocol down

Status
Not open for further replies.

trismegistus

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
GB
Hi

We have 3 x Cisco 3508's within a production network. Two are directly connected with etherchannel, vlans and stp all working fine. These two are both using fibre GBIC's.

The third switch is uplinked by one of its ports to a Sun server using a copper GBIC. The interface settings are the same as the others and the global config is the same.

However, the port attached to the server will not come up, giving the message of doom (see title).

We have:
Swapped out cables.
Checked the duplex.
Changed the copper GBIC.

The interface will still not come up, but to make the mystery a bit deeper:

The copper GBIC works in another switch
The server will connect to the other switches
If the whole interface set up is moved to another port within the switch, the problem occurs there as well.

Any ideas? Could it still be the copper GBIC?

what is the autonegotiate setting at? ----------------------------------------
Wasabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

To start, part of this problem is that i am trying to manage it remotely, and so cannot vouch 100% for the person at the other end. If anything sounds implausible, please say, as I can only see this being a media issue.

We set the interface to full duplex. I thought of the interface settings, as I was unsure of the server NIC, but the same server, when connected to a different switch with the same media and interface settings, gives a healthy connection.

Could it be a part of the config I have overlooked? I could do with a pointer to the TAC site if they have a document explaining reasons for this problem.

Hi,

There may be a number of reasons for your problem - first, I'm sorry to hear you can't trust your remote support guy. That really must make life frustrating!!

1. Stoopid question maybe, but are you sure the NIC in the server is GBit?

2. If it is, is it an Intel PRO/1000 T family adapter? If so try upgrading the firmware. You will find the latest driver at support.intel.com

3. Have a look at Troubleshooting Cisco Catalyst to NIC Compatibility Issues.
4. Are your problems due to cable length?

Good luck, hope I could help,
Phil. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

You may want to turn off flow-control. I've seen this in other vendors equipment...not sure with these two vendors though, but it may be worth a shot.

don't leave anything to auto-detect. with diffrent vendors, this can offten be the cause of the problem.

Hi

I tried setting the gigabit interfaces to full-duplex but the 3508 only supports auto-detect. Anyway, i've been and had a look at this problem, and it is beyond me.

When we put the copper GBIC's in the 3508 they don't show even a light. The copper GBIC's work fine in another switch and fibre GBIC's work fine in the 3508 in question. The ports we are putting the GBIC's in are ok and the duplex and speed settings are ok.

We have tried every combination of cables, interface settings etc but get nothing. Does anyone know if this is an IOS issue? Has anyone else had problems with the 3508 as it is the bane of my existence.

Hi Tris,

The minimum level of IOS required for the single port 1000BaseT GBIC is Release 12.0(5)XW

Hope this helps,
Phil.. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back