Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interface config

Status
Not open for further replies.

delboy911

Technical User
May 16, 2002
IT
Hi Guys, I am currently grappling with a Cisco 3550. It has got the EMI software set installed. I have enabled the router template and set up my first port with an ip adress as a layer 3 device. I want to include the other ports on the switch/router so that they are interfaces attached to the "router" on port1, has anybody got any ideas?

Not quite sure what you're attempting to do.
However, if you want to use the switch as a router, you could make the other ports "routed", the same as the first port.
Routing would work because the 3550 would know about those directly connected networks. So traffic entering port 1, destined for a network hanging from port 10, would be routed appropriately, exactly like on a router.

Like brycec said, the switch(router) will know about the connected routes and already know how to route between them. I think your problem might be that routing is turned off. I beleive that switch has routing turned off by default which is why you can't route right now. You can turn it on by type "ip routing" in the configuration mode.

-Bad Dos

Just to clarify the problem I have. I have applied the routing template, which you have to do before you can use any routing functions and routing is enabled. I have set up port ethernetgigabit0/1 as a Layer3 device and I would like to use 6 of the other ports I have to act as a switch (Layer2) and to link in to the "router" port on ethernetgigabit0/1. So I can then plug in 6 machines all with addresses in the same subnet which will see each other and be able to have a default gateway of the routing port which can then forward traffic to the firewall. I have also configured etherchannel (effectively removing the assigned ip address from the physical port and assigning it to all the ports), which enabled the router to see the pc's and vice versa, but not the pc's to see each other! It would be great to just set up extra router interfaces and plug the pc's in, but they are on the same subnet d'oh!! Any further ideas would be gladly appreciated. TIA

Which routing protocol are you using? Are you using VLANs? I have a similar type setup and might be able to help you.

I'm using ospf. I have not changed any vlan settings from default, so I guess it's using vlan1.

Vlan1 is present in the config, but I haven't assigned any interfaces to it

Yes... But do you have an IP adddress and subnet mask assigned to it?

By default all unassigned ports will be assigned to vlan1. You shouldn't need to worry about that part.

No I have no ip address assigned to the vlan. I do have an ip address and subnet mask for the port-channel interface. Can you assign an ip address to the vlan, i thought all you could do was change vlan names and make ports members?

No... You need to assign the vlan an IP address. Go ahead and remove it from the port-channel. You will now have vlan1 and gig0/1 with different networks on them, and you can then route between them.

Firstly, sorry about delay in reply.
But all is happy in cisco land as the last suggestion worked. Respect is due to the baddos massiv! [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back