Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interface Cash Drawer with Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

stralkin

Technical User
Jun 1, 2005
US
I would like to be able to open a cash drawer with VBA. Can any one point me to how to do this? Thanks

Thanks for the response. The cash drawer has not yet been selected/purchased. Is the programing approach different for the various manufacuturers? are there preferred ones for working with Access?
Thanks, Jerry

Hi

I have done something similar, which is to create a batch file on the pc which will open the drawer containing the following 2 lines

mode com1:9600,n,8,1
echo PleaseOpenMe > com1

The first line set up the com port so the till can communicate with the PC, the second line sends any sequence of charcters to the port which normally pings the drawer. The draw may have slightly different baud rates etc.

Within the Access database, when the till receipt is then printed i call a macro from the on-close event of the report which calls the batch file. A bit long winded I agree but it works !! (for me anyway)

Thanks! - how do you call the batch file from a macro? (or vba) I did not see anything on batch files in the on-board access or vba help documentation.

Jerry

Hi

I use a Macro and use the RunApp command and point it to the batch file.

Regards
Tony

Thanks a lot - I will try this as soon as I get my hands on the cash drawer. By the way, are there references you would suggest for boning up on the general area of interfacing with external devices such as cash drawers, card readers etc?

Jerry

Hi

Sorry for the slow replies but don't ave much chance to view the forums at the moment.

Not sure about where to check for thisngs like that, this was just something I had to do myself, the details on baud rates etc were actually with the till drawer I was working with.

If you need any help with the barcode and magstripe card readers then I have dealt with those with Access but the commands used vary a little.

Regards
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back