Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting Problem with Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtrepani

MIS
May 30, 2002
US
All,

I have an interesting problem here.

BACKGROUND: This is an L class box, with HPUX 11.11. This machine has multiple network interfaces in it. It also has a Secure Web Console, and a GSP port. All the nics are configured to be on different vlans. The GSP and the SWC are both on the same vlan as one of the nics.

PROBLEM: The network folks are telling me I have a layer 2 loop going between my nic on vlan1 and my GSP which is also on vlan1. They say one is trying to broadcast through the other. As a result, the GSP port leaves the bridge and re-enters once a minute. We have multiple systems with this same config and they work fine. When we change the vlan, it works fine. I was under the impression that the GSP operated as its own system, with no interface to the system (relating to the network anyway) other than the console functionality (and the misc reboot, etc.). Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Resolution: I understand that I could simply put this GSP on a different vlan and it would work fine. All the other systems are set up like this and work fine. I would really like to understand the problem and get it to work like this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Will Trepanier

hp does not support ipaddresses on the same network..
Did you check your arp ent....
I bet one nic does not show its mac addr.
This may be your problem.

As an update to this, HP has a patch out for this. If anyone runs into this problem, search on the ITRC for the HW part number of the GSP to find the patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back