Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting problem.....Terminal Server Licensing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doswelk

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2001
GB
We have taken over the IT support of a council office, the leaving IT support company were not to helpful, and we had limited to no access before transfer of support coverage.

The site has a Windows 2003 Terminal server, it is in a Windows 2000 Active Directory Domain.

How do I determine where this Terminal Server is locating Terminal Server Client Access Licenses?

When I launch Terminal Server Licesing on the Terminal Server it tells me that there is no Licensing server in thios domain.

I have looked on the Domain Controller but could not find it there, I weill if I have to connect to each server in turn to find if Terminal Server Licensing has been installed, but if there is an easy way to do this I'd be grateful....

Thanks

Since the domain is 2000 and the terminal server is 2003 the outgoing IT company probably had to get creative. Best practice as you probably already know is that the domain controller should be the license server.. BUT a 2000 domain controller cannot issue terminal server 2003 licenses.

The only other way would be to to set the terminal server itself or another 2003 server to be the license server. They would do this by changing a registry key. The terminal server should hold the answer for you in the registry. Look here for that key and more info.

FRCP

This gets stranger...

There are 15 users running Windows XP conencting to this server, when I look in the licensing software it shows the following:

Existing Windows 2000 Server - Terminal Services CAL Token (per device) Type:Built-in Total:Unlimited Availble:Unlimited

Windows Server 2003 - Terminal Server Per User CAL Token Type:Volume License Total:15 Available:15

Does this mean this was a windows 2000 terminal server that was upgraded to a 2003 server?

Is that why the 2003 licenses are still available?

If we need to add 15 more users to this server do I need to buy 15 more licenses or do I not as there are 15 available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back