Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting many to many query with criterias and left joins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcar

Programmer
Sep 10, 2001
US
hi all
I am going through some big time headacke trying to figure out how to get as a result what I need.

here is the situation:

tblUsers
--------
lUser_ID
szFirstName
szLastName

tblLog
------
lLog_ID
lUser_ID
lCompany_ID 'links to the tblAllTasks
lTask_ID 'links to the tblAllTasks
lSubTask_ID 'links to the tblAllTasks
dtStart
dtFinish

tblAllTasks 'Many to Many table
-----------
lTask_ID
szTaskName

This table contains company name, task name, subtask name...

I have a report that prints out all the tasks during the week that a user has done:

Mike Mouse from 09/24/2001 to 10/05/2001

Company Task Subtask Time
------------------------------------------------
ABC Web Site Programming 34

the only problem is that if a employee did the same task and same subtask (in tow different moments) I would like to group them up so I can print only one element for that record.

here is the SQL Query of the View that the report uses:

SELECT dbo.tblUsers.szLastName + ' ' + dbo.tblUsers.szFirstName AS Employee, tblAllTasks_3.szTaskName AS Company,
tblAllTasks_1.szTaskName AS Task, tblAllTasks_2.szTaskName AS [Sub Task], DATEDIFF(mi, dbo.tblLog.dtStart, dbo.tblLog.dtFinish) AS Time,
dbo.tblLog.lUser_ID, dbo.tblLog.dtStart
FROM dbo.tblLog LEFT OUTER JOIN
dbo.tblAllTasks tblAllTasks_1 ON dbo.tblLog.lTask_ID = tblAllTasks_1.lTask_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN
dbo.tblAllTasks tblAllTasks_3 ON dbo.tblLog.lCompany_ID = tblAllTasks_3.lTask_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN
dbo.tblUsers ON dbo.tblLog.lUser_ID = dbo.tblUsers.lUser_ID LEFT OUTER JOIN
dbo.tblAllTasks tblAllTasks_2 ON dbo.tblLog.lSubTask_ID = tblAllTasks_2.lTask_ID

and the filter called to open the report is:

mySQL = "([lUser_ID] = " & Me.Combo8 & ") " & _
"AND (dtStart between '" & startDate & "'" & _
" AND '" & endDate & "')"

DoCmd.OpenReport "TimeSheet", acViewPreview, , mySQL

seems like I cannot sum the times grouping by subtasks.. I really have no idea of what else I could try.
TIA
Alcar

Hi,

Can you create group on the report itself (group by Subtask, set group header to yes, and if you need total -- group footer to yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back