Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting Job Requirements 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
Found this in a job posting and thought it was entertaining enough to post:

Requirements include:
1. Degree in Business, Marketing, Computer Science, or other related field
2. 5-7 years' experience with Internet-based services, including HTML design, graphic design, database management, e-mail system administration, Internet marketing, and/or server configurations
3. 3-5 years software and Internet development experience
4. Experience in Database, JAVA, SQL, LINUX, XML and SOAP
5. Proven project management experience
6. Strong computer skills
7. Background in the fitness industry a plus

Looking at #2,3&4 it brings a smile that they felt they also had to include #6. (Yes, I know it was probably written by a clueless HR person, but I am amused anyway.) :)

Jeff
The future is already here - it's just not widely distributed yet...

My favorites are the ones that ask for 2-5 years experience in a program or operating system that's only been out a year or so.....
banghead.gif

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

You never know why someone puts out a screwy job requirement. I've known an employer to ask for 2-3 years' experience in a year-old OS just to see who knows enough about a topic to point out the mistake.

Then guess who gets to the short list for hiring?

I remember an article I read 2-3 years ago about a company's Request for Proposals document. Part of the document was a checklist that asked which RFC-specified protocols the company had experience implementing. The list included 1 or 2 of the April Fool's Day RFCs. Interestingly, nearly every company filling out the form stated they has experience implementing the April Fool's protocols.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

This is rather humorous, but with respect to 2,3 and 4 leading into 6, I have known some people, by the letter of the requirement, meet 2, 3, and 4, but do not meet #6.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Looks like a small company where the candidate will be everything from Head-IT to Janitor.

End.

Then guess who gets to the short list for hiring? Not the person who just called his potential new boss a moron. Let's face it, no one is going to go to a job interview and say, "By the way, you know that job description you have for this position? I just want to point out that it makes no sense and completely contradicts itself. When do I start?"

Whether the candidate knows it's bogus or not, they're not going to point it out because they don't want to risk offending whomever's doing the interview. What if the "boss" doesn't know it's a mistake and you make him look/feel stupid in your own interview?

But I see your point, sleipnir214. Especially if they start asking specific questions pertaining to that portion of the job description. Then I would have to trow in "Well, that particular version has only been out for about 6 months, but I've been working extensively with it, as well as the prior 3 versions over the last 5 years, blah, blah, blah..."

Now that I've complete gnarled and twisted this thread into something it wasn't meant to be :), let me close by saying:
1) Good post MasterRacker, it's pretty D*#m funny!
2) Good point sleipnir214, I especially like the story about the "April Fool's" protocols.
3) CajunCenturion, if I had dollar for every one of those people I'd come across, I might could afford to take a day off!

Stars for you all!

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Ecobb:
You have incorrectly assumed that pointing out the discrepancy necessitates calling someone stupid.

I agree that if you tell your prospective employer, "Dude, you're asking for three years' experience for a product that's only been out one year. That's bogus.", it is almost certain you will not get the job. The above statement will accrue so many points against you that you'd have to walk on water in front of three certified witnesses before you'd get hired.

However, if you tell your prospective employer, "There is something I don't understand about the job description. The description includes a requirement for three years' experience in a product that, to the best of my knowledge, has only been out for a year. What am I missing?", then you have pointed out the discrepancy and asked for clarification in a way that makes it look like I'm the stupid one. And that could get you a job.

I should know. I once got a job because I was the only applicant that had enough knowledge to see the discrepancy and enough chutzpah to point it out. And my eventual employer was favorably impressed by how I handled the situation.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

How's this:

Web developer with years of Java, Javascript, ASP, Perl and C++ experience: $8.25/hr.

True.

We have a place local to my home town that offers $7 or less/hr for programmers with MySQL, Perl, PHP, HTML, Linux Experience.

The sad thing is that because our town is so tech poor they often get people for that...

-T

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
The never-completed website:

Depends where you live, whether you would move for money and what your priorities are in life...

One man's pittance is another man's riches.

It's a nice beach town. Cost of living is about 10% higher than avg while pay rates are about 9% lower...kind of odd how that works out.

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
The never-completed website:

I live in a samller mid-western town where some local businessmen once claimed it was okay to pay less because the cost of living was supposedly lower. Interesting then, how these same businesses also charged more for the same products than stores closer in to the nearest big city.

Jeff

Probably had to charge more, if not for transportation costs, then it might have been due to traffic volume. Whereas the larger city may get a traffic count of say, 1000 vehicles a day, the smaller town may only get a count of say, 100 vehicles. This has a lesser chance of someone stopping, thus creating a higher product cost for the retailer.

Just some things to consider on cost of living in a smaller town.

And on that, I am from a smaller town in the midwest, where most of my "true" friends live, as well as my sisters. And I am living in a large city now, but am thinking of moving back. As was stated, "...priorities are in life..."

Almost every employer in New Mexico seems to think that 300+ days of sunshine a year is worth about 4 - 6,000 per year in salary!!!

Leslie

My point is that the same retailers that used lower cost of living to justify underpaying, created higher cost of living by charging more. You can't have it both ways.

Fortunately, the city council finally gave in and let in some big-box retailers when a survey showed over 80% of shoppers in the area said they drove the hour to the city at least once a week to shop anyway because they couldn't find what they wanted in town.

Jeff

and that creates employment in the area at generally better rates than other employers (for the position). cost of living goes down a bit as the price of goods drops on whatever they are saving.

area becomes more saleable as you don't have to drive the hour to the city.

eventually the area becomes the city and people move out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back