Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interdev connection failed: Method not allowed(Error code = 80070005) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedap

Technical User
Jun 9, 2002
IN
I have already created a website and it's working fine. Now I installed Visualstudio6 + sp5 today and after restart check my website is working.

Start interdev but on the second screen to select "What server do you want to use" it's giving error message "Method not allowed(Error code = 80070005)" in Local as well as master mode.

Debugging steps:
I tried with localhost, ipaddress, machinename without luck. the same three works directly through browser.

Went to IIS console and rightclick on website ans selected alltask and then selected "Check server extension 2002" then after verifying login and password. it shows everything is configured properly except not fully secured.

Installed latest frontpage server extensions2002
Visual studio 6 + sp5

I guess it's something to do with WindowsXP + sp1 otherwise I never got this problem earlier with other OS.

Any pointers or help will be appriciated.

Thanks..Prakash

A quick google on the error number, sounds like a permissions issue on folder your are accessing. check the permissiosn for you iusr_[..] account.

hth

already searched google at full length, no help there are some KB article also in ms no luck.

This is something different problem, there are many people who face this problem but in the end that got solved by putting FP server extention. but here no luck?

Thanks for the try..Prakash

If this is the problem that had once (and it sure sounds like it), then my only resolve was to re-install XP. Yup, a real bummer, but it worked. I won't dare to install SP1 again.

It could have been related to the OEM version of XP (Dell), but who knows. It was a complete (and very annoying) mistery.

Thanks buddy but can't implement this as this is in office not at home.....

I already tried this options, tried once again....no luck

Anyway thanks for try....

I was getting the same error message. I read the MS Knowledgebase article suggested by ArielWiz and was able to solve the problem by:
1. Open Internet Service Manager.
2. Right-click Default Web Site (or the appropriate Web site)
3. Select All Tasks.
4. Select Check Server Extensions (the Web site has the server extensions installed). Choose this option to start a diagnostic program that analyzes the Web site and fixes common issues.

Have you tried uninstalling FrontPage Server Extensions 2002 and just using the version of FPSE that installs automatically with IIS? (This may require uninstalling IIS as well).

Brad

I get the same error, so if anyone figures this out, please let the rest of us know.

I have Visual Interdev with SP5. I get the error when I try to connect to IIS 5 with FP SE 2002.

I do not get the error with the old extensions (not sure what version)

Hmm....

I have a similar problem;

Running VI with sp 6 on winXP sp 1.
Server with the web is running win2000 sp 4 and the latest frontpage extensions (downloaded it from MS).

Just to get the project up and running, creating the directories and so on is a problem and freezes the VI randomly.
If i DO get past that, the get working copy (selecting the whole web), crash randomly too, the get latest version also crash this way.

In comparison I installed VI on a Win2k pro sp4 computer, skipped the sp 6 for VI installation and just tried to check out everything.

Worked like a charm!

Conclusion; VI seemes to be seriously b0rked on the windowsXP platform, I have no other explanation.

One more thing;

Running in "compatibillity mode" on the visual interdev exe didn't change anything.
Still crashes for compatibillity modes win2k, winNT and win98....
But then again, that may be just me :)

I just ran into the same problem and man did it annoy me. I was not going to stop until I found an answer and I beleive I have. I wrote the below "remedy" and it has worked on 4 of 5 coworkers machines that experienced the problem. (I am not messing around with the reboots - clear out that memory!) It is a bit verbose for a posting and I hope I don't get dinged but here it goes:

Visual Interdev + FrontPage Server Extension 2002 Problems
Problem -- Can't create a new solution and/or project through project wizard
Potential Error: Method Not Allowed(Error Code = "80070005")
References: Microsoft KB 272289

1. Close all programs and Remove FP2002 Server Extensions through "Add Remove Software"
2. Reboot
3. Uninstall IIS -- Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add Remove Programs|Add Remove Windows Components <-- (left column menu selection)
a. Uncheck IIS box
b. Uncheck Indexing Service box (if checked)
c. Uncheck Script Debugger box (if checked)
4. Reboot
5 Go into Add Remove Programs|Add Remove Windows Components and reselect above unchecked items
a. Check IIS box
b. Check Indexing Service box (if prev. checked)
c. Check Script Debugger box (if prev. checked)
6 Wait for install to complete.
7. Reboot
8. Go into Internet Services Manager - Right click &quot;Default Web Site&quot;(or your particular website) and go to &quot;All Tasks&quot;
9. In all tasks, should see &quot;Configure Server Extensions&quot; (this means the website does NOT have the server extensions enabled) -- select &quot;Configure Server Extensions&quot;
(Will start a wizard to assist in configuring the extensions, permission wizard will start also, follow and take the defaults)
10. Once step 9 is completed, right click again on the site, &quot;All Tasks&quot; and you should see &quot;Check Server Extensions&quot; -- select &quot;Check Server Extensions&quot;
(Will start a diagnostic window and tell you what it did to configure. May see a message like &quot;/_vti_bin/ was not marked executable. Problem solved.&quot;) (automatic)
11. Once step 10 is completed, follow the below points:
a. Open an instance of Internet Explorer and add the below URL and hit enter:
http://yourservername/_vti_bin/shtml.dll
Should receive the message: &quot;Cannot run the FrontPage Server Extensions' Smart HTML interpreter on this non-HTML page:&quot;
This is good -- it tested that an instance of the FPSE were installed on the machine
If not check to see if &quot;Configure Server Extensions&quot; is still available under &quot;All Tasks&quot; or go to MS Site + download FPSE 2000
(FPSE 2000 are also on Office 2000 + FrontPage 2000 disks if you have them laying around if you can't find it on MS website)

b. Open an instance of Internet Explorer and add the below URL and hit enter:
http://yourservername/_vti_inf.html
Right-Click on page (will have heading &quot;FrontPage Configuration Information&quot;) and select &quot;View Source&quot;
Look for an HTML Comment &quot;<!-- FrontPage Configuration Information --> and &quot;FPVersion=xxxxxx&quot;
This will give you the version of FPSE that are currently on your machine. (Microsoft recommends you have version 4.0.2.2717 or later)
12. Once step 11 is completed, right click again on the site, &quot;All Tasks&quot; and select &quot;Recalculate Web&quot; -- diagnostic to run through and recalculate the web (automatic)
13. Once step 12 is completed, Reboot once again and open Visual Interdev.
14. Go through and try to set up a new VI project/solution.

You should be able to use your machine name as the server and be able to create a new project.

Notes:
My system is a Win2000 Pro + Visual Studio 6 SP5. This is my development machine and I was only using the Default Website in IIS. I upgraded my FPSE 2000 to 2002 when I ran into the above problem of not being able to create a new
project in Visual Interdev. Once completing the steps, I was able to create a new VI project and I did NOT try to reinstall FPSE 2002 again. Do a web search on the problem and you will see that this has happened to a number of people and with no remedy from Microsoft or insight into the potential problem.

Be smart -- back up your web files before removing IIS.

Please refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 272289
This article contained excellent information regarding VI and IIS error codes which helped me develop the above &quot;remedy&quot;.
Pay attention to message # 5, parts a,b,c; #6 and #12 in the article.

An addendum to the posting the other day that wasn't included:

When trying to access VI solutions/projects previous to the reinstall of IIS, you may find that connectivity to those projects is broken when you try to open a file. You may receive a message like &quot;Unable to open web project xxxx. Server Error: There is no web named /xxxx.&quot;, even though the solution/project opens in VI and the files are visible. This may occur if it is determined you are working in Master or Local mode. If you are working in Master mode you probably will receive the above error message. You can determine if you are working in Master mode if you take a look in the Project Explorer of VI and you see a small lightening bolt through through the project icon that houses your web files (looks like a small globe with 2 documents in it). You can easily change from Master to Local Mode by right-clicking on the icon and on the context menu that displays and go to the 4th selection from the top that says &quot;Working Mode&quot;. There you can change (at any time) from Master to Local or vice-versa. However, if you work in Local Mode and you save your work, you will only be modifying your local copies of your web files. Reason: When VI creates a project, it creates 2 copies of the web files, one in xxxx_Local directory and one in / directory. If you work in Master mode, (which is not recommended in production environment), and you save a file, it updates both your Local copy and the Master (web server copy); if working in Local Mode, it only updates your local copy.

In order to remedy the Master file saving problem, this is a possible cure. Open Internet Services Manager under your website, (in my case it was the Default Website), and look for your project name. You will probably notice that you lost your Virtual Directory and the project folder is just... well, a folder. A possible remedy to this:
1. Close out Visual Interdev
2. Open Internet Services Manager
3. Right click on what is now your project folder and go to Properties
4. On the Directory Tab within the Application Settings section you will probably notice that the &quot;Application Name&quot; text box is uneditable
The button next to the textbox says &quot;Create&quot; - press it. You will see that the textbox becomes active with &quot;\xxxx&quot; and the button value now says &quot;Configuration...&quot;
(Note: If you want Debugging enabled on your ASP's click the &quot;Configuration...&quot; button, goto the App Debugging tab and set both Debugging Flag checkboxes)
5. Close out the Properties dialogue box
6. IIS Manager, notice now that the icon has changed from a folder to a Virtual Directory icon (green globe in a box)
7. Right click on the newly converted Virtual Directory, and go to &quot;All Tasks&quot; and select &quot;Check Server Extensions&quot; -- will run automatically and will get messages close out Server Extensions message dialogue when completed
8. Right click again on the project Virtual Directory, go to &quot;All Tasks&quot; and select &quot;Recalculate Web&quot; -- will run automatically and you will get a message box when completed
9. Go to &quot;Services&quot; console in Start|Settings|Control Panel, find &quot;IIS Admin Service&quot; and stop and restart your web service
10. Open up VI, make sure you are in Master mode, open a test document, edit it and see if you can save it -- should be able to.

If this doesn't work, you may want to Reboot and try Step 10 again.
If that still doesn't work, you may just want to delete the directory and in IIS Service Manager and create a new Virtual Directory to point to your web files. Heres's how:

1. Open IIS Services Manager
2. Find the directory/virtual directory named after your project, right click and delete
3. Go up to the name of your website (in my case I was using the Default Website), right click goto New|Virtual Directory
4. The Virtual Directory Wizard will start - Click Next
5. Give the Virtual Directory an alias (how it will be referred to in IIS Mgr. I always like to follow whatever the project name is.) Click Next.
6. Select path to the server web files by clicking Browse and navigating to web folder (in my case it was inetput/ Click Next.
7. Select Access Permissions -- unless you have special reasons, take the defaults. Click Next.
8. Click Finish. (Finished the Wizard)
9. Stop and restart the IIS Admin Service in the Services console under Start|Control Panel
10. Open up VI, make sure you are in Master mode, open a test document, edit it and see if you can save it -- should remedy the problem.

Good Luck -- Again I apologize for the verbose nature of the posting, however I hope that the information contained helps at least one person from losing their hair like I am!

**Question - Would anyone like to see this in a tutorial/white paper format? Drop a line on the forum.

Seichodan,

I think that if you wanted to highlight this information in a FAQ that would be most useful to other members. If you need any help with this, post back and I'll point you in the right direction. Good job!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&quot;If you can't explain something to a six-year-old, you really don't understand it yourself.&quot;
-- Albert Einstein

Hi Chopstik --

After looking at the post again, it is a bit long for a quick posting (apologies) -- I will compile and put it into a FAQ format so it is easily accessible.

seichodan

seichodan can make the tally 5 out of 6. Removing FPSE form my XP machine, then removing and re-installing IIS helped. I was also reloading software to a new hard disk, and I also hit Q257413(unable to create a DCOM account) on reload. Ok, easy enough fix.
Got it installed on a local admin account, then went out to use it on the network ID (connecting to NT 4.0 server).
You guessed it. Another problem. Q248073. Trial period has expired. Notes mention that it occasionally occurs on machines that never had a trial software install (sometimes it happens after installing a SP). My situation exactly.
Microsoft fix? contact Microsoft. After describing the problem, they wanted a credit card no. I pointed out that I contacted them because that was the fix they posted for a problem they already know about. Fortunatly, logic prevailed, and they decided that a credit card was not needed.
They are supposed to contact me (or just e-mail a hot fix). I'll let you know how I make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back