Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interconnecting 2 offices with 25-pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

One of my clients has just rented another office across the hall. Each office already has their own patch panels for their phone wiring. Now the new office needs to be connected to the PBX of the current office. Instead of running multiple sets of Cat3 wires to link up both offices, I was thinking of using a 25-pair Cat3 cable. I will be using BIX Distribution Connector. Should I use the 5-pair marking ones or the 4-pair marking ones ? Once done, when I do the cross-connect between the 25-pair to the workstation outlets, do I start hooking one pair after another or should I hookup the workstation outlets to each marking on the 25-pair Distribution Connector (ie at every 4 or 5 pair depending which distribution connector I choose) ? Logically I would just start at punching them down each pair one following the other like the ones from the CO. Also should a 25-pair cable be used for data jacks also ?

Now all of this depends on how many people will be working in the new office, it's fairly small. It might not be worth installing 2 25-pair wiring so I might end up just running multiple sets of wires. If I do decided to go with the 25-pair, I'm sure I'll be able to find the color sequence... I know I've seen it here multiple times.

Thanks
anthony

I would pull 25 pair and terminate to 66 block

color code

group one white

blue
orange
green
brown
slate

two red

three black

four yellow

five violet

We use Bix here in Quebec both for Telecom and Data. Thanks for the help.

Here's how I teach it:

Be (Blue)
On (Orange)
Guard (Green)
By (Brown)
Six (Slate)

then

Which (White)
Rotten (Red)
Boy (Black)
Yelled (Yellow)
Venerial (Violet)

OK, so the "boy" is not always used, we sometimes use another word. Can you guess which one?

just thought I wouyld add

I would pull two 4pair cat 5 for data

use one and put a switch in the new office

use the second as a spare

(I guess you guys use BIx becouse you dont know better eh ? ):)

Since you are using patch panels for the current phone wiring, I would put patch panels on each end of the 25-pair. Depending on how many pairs you need to operate your phones (1 pair digital phones, 2-pair EKTS phones, etc.) wire the panels accordingly. Then patch from the phone system to the new patch panel at the side with the control unit, and patch from the other new patch panel to the existing phone patch panel at the new office suite.

Well I revisited the site. Customer won't be needing that many jacks. I plan on installing only 8 data and 8 telephone jacks for 3 or so employees. In order to avoid extra costs, they prefer to have cables from the new office run directly into the existing office. Wire lenghts are not too bad. The longuest one is about 167 feet and every other one gets shorter. All 8 data runs will use up about 1100' of cabling. Same thing for the 8 voice jacks. I'm going to run the voice with cat5e also. I save about 15$ (per box of 1000') if I take cat3 for voice but I end up needing one box of 1000' and 100' of Cat5e + one box of 1000' and 100' of Cat3... A total of 4 boxes with a lot of "wasted cable" (close to 900' of each box)... With 3 boxes of Cat5e, I only have about 800' of "wasted or spare" cable for future projets. I can probably pull it off with 1000' but I don't want to take a chance and run out of wires during the install on the weekend. It's a 2 hour, 200km drive to my customer ! Also with Cat5e I can eventually convert the voice jacks to data (if needed) since I'll be also using Nordx MDVO PS5E jacks, just need to repunch into a patch panel...

Putting a new switch into the second office isn't good for us because it will envolve an extra UPS, telecom equipment spread out and we ran out of ports on our main 48 port switch for the main office anyways.

Thanks for your help.
anthony

OK, I could not stop myself from sharing this I got from an Old Timer

Bell
Operators
Give
Better
Service

Why
Run
Backwards
You'll
Vomit

Big
Old
Girls
Boobs
Swell

if I thought of that one I'd forget what it was I was there to do ;-)

on the whole I've found memonic devices are often more trouble to learn the subject your trying to learn .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back