Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interactive sorting with whtml format

Status
Not open for further replies.

V2008

Programmer
Sep 11, 2008
US
From preview screen, I exported report in web archive format. Interactive sorting does not appear in whtml format.
Do I have to check some setting why it is appearing in Report viewer but not in whtml format file.

Hi, I assume you mean are exporting the report to MHTML (web archive) format. The MHTML format is not interactive, so any interactive features such as sorting, grouping etc will not be available in the exported report.

Thank you NathanGriffiths!

Can I export it to HTML and does it save interactive features.
Then how should I do it?

If you need users to be able to sort the data interactively outside of Report Viewer then your best option is to export the report to Excel.

Then how microsoft on their website claims
Interactive sorting
Preview/Report Viewer
For tabular repots, users click sort arrows on column to change how the data is sorted.

HTML
For tabular repots, users click sort arrows on column to change how the data is sorted.

PDF
Not available in PDF.

Excel
Not available in Excel.

Word
Not available in Word.

Other
Not available in MHTML, XML, CSV, or Image.

From the Microsoft website you linked to:

Ad hoc reports that you create in Report Builder and default reports that you view in Report Manager, SharePoint Web parts, or in a browser are rendered in HTML. HTML is the only report output format that fully supports all interactive features. Alternate HTML formats (such as MHTML) support many interactive features. If exceptions for MHTML exist, they are noted in the following table.

In other words, when you view a report in Report Manager, Sharepoint etc. using a web browser (Internet Explorer) you are viewing it as HTML. There is a difference between viewing a report online (as HTML) and saving/exporting a report to a format like MHTML, PDF or Excel. When you save/export the report you lose some of the interactive features as described on the website.

Hi NathanGriffiths!
Thank you for clearing my doubt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back