Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interactive mode linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustervoice

Technical User
Apr 2, 2009
GB
How do i boot centos linux in interactive mode? im at run level 3 no gui. i Press I on bootup but nothing happens.

What do you mean by interactive mode?

I use a Linux server version that doesn't have a gui. That system gives a text based screen that says: "Login: " with a blinking cursor. It will also accept network based connections via SSH, etc.

i mean boot the server in a way that i choose what services to start during boot up. sort of like windows safe mode

Boot into single-user mode. Should be an option on the GRUB screen.

Hit "I" when the during the boot-up stage where it's starting the services.

I'm running CentOS 4.8 in a Virtualbox VM. I usually boot to runlevel 5 by default, but I changed it to 3 to try this and it seems to work okay; I press "i" at the "Press 'I' for interactive startup." point in the boot process, it seems to continue through the initial startup scripts, but after the "INIT Entering Runlevel: 3" it says "Entering interative startup" and prompts to "Start service microcode_ctl (Y)es/(N)o/(C)ontinue? [Y]".

What happens for you?

Alternatives are to add "confirm" to the kernel command-line in grub, or as pentode suggested, boot to single-user then touch /var/run/confirm ; init 3.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back