Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inter-org exch 5.5 to exch 2003 migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljefe79

MIS
Jul 9, 2001
US
Hi All,

I need a gut check and a review on a migration scenario. I have a 12 site 5.5 \NT4 legacy environment in a hub and spoke configuration. The exchange directory is corrupt with SP2 installed presenting no options for an ADC migration. My intent is to create a staged pristine 2003 exchange environment in a new AD domain. Create contacts for 5.5 users in the 2003 environment as well as internet addresses for migrated users in the 5.5 directory. As users are migrated to the new environment via the wizard, an internet address will replace the mailbox in the 55 world. Distribution lists will be manually updated in both worlds. I realize that certain services such as free-busy and pub folders will be unavailable during the migration but that is an accepted price. A major issue however is that the users must retain their current smtp domain email addresses.

My intent is to redirect email to the new 2003 exchange server, choosing not to make it authoritative to the domain. It will forward all unresolved recipients to the 55 box who will be authoritative and handle all NDRs.

My idea is to treat the 5.5 box similar to a sendmail box in a shared smtp environment.

Has anyone ran into a similar situation? Any constructive thoughts or warnings would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Jefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back