Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intellisync "Unknown Error" - user cannot synchronize PIM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2003
US
Hello All -

I have a few users with various devices (all of them the java devices - 6210, 6710, 7230) who are having problems with Intellisync. When you click on the configure PIM (and subsequently, when you try to synchronize the PIM) Intellisync generates an "Unknown Error".
The users all have the latest 3.6 software installed and are on Windows XP.
I have searched blackberry.net and I have searched Pumatech's website and found a few things to do, but nothing has worked consistently. I have uninstalled the desktop manager and deleted the registry keys in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software as well as deleted the folders from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion and Pumatech Shared and have deleted the folders from C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Research In Motion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
- mfortunato

Have you also deleted any entries in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software pertaining to Puma technologies and/or Puma Tech?

Yes, I have, actually. I've searched and found it can be one of 3 things (which I will be testing today):

1) Corrupt Outlook Profile. Delete the profile from the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles)

2) Uninstall all BlackBerry and PumaTech software including folders located in Documents and Settings\username\Application Data, Program Files\Common Files and Program Files\Research In Motion. Also, delete all Research In Motion and Pumatech registry keys from HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software

3) Mismatched Ole32.dll and Comcat.dll files.

A technician went through 1 and 2 already, but I'm going to redo the steps in case something was missed. If that doesn't work, I'll check for number 3. I'll post my results as soon as I have them.

Thanks!
mfortunato

Hey mfortunato...

Here is my answer to you that was posted on the PDA forum...

We ran into this problem on XP as well.

What we had to do was uninstall the handheld and desktop software, open up a command window, change to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory and run REGSVR32 ATL.DLL. Then reinstall your desktop software, then handheld software.

Worked for us. Good Luck!

Glad to hear it worked!

Thanks again, dagwn. Registering the atl.dll worked. I don't know what that dll file does. I'm hoping this doesn't have an adverse effect on any other programs. So far so good, though!

- mfortunato

Unfortunately, registering the atl.dll didn't work for us. We're still seeing the problem on our Pentium 4 Windows2000 Pro computers. Any other suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance,

DickieRay

Those are all of the correct steps on the pc end. On the handheld you shoudl perform a final backup of the data. Proceed to wipe the entire device clean (obviously without opting to restore the data) Then go ahead and restore from the last backup.

The error should not appear after completing the reinstalls on both the pc and the handheld side.

Good Luck!

We had similar problem with win98. Installing the latest DCOM fixed the problem.

Thanks jaihind94. We are having this problem with win98 as well. Could you spell out your solution for the clueless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back